Kraus House - 2401 10th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Beierback House; Pumphrey House
Style - Modern Movements/Minimal Traditional
Built Year - 1948
State ID - 5WL.4953

Description - The residence at 2401 10th Avenue is a single story wood frame dwelling. As built in 1948, the original dwelling measures 32 feet north-south (across) by 28 feet east-west (deep), with a 10 feet by 4' enclosed gabled extension on the east (façade). A wood frame garage, which measures 22 feet north-south by 12 feet east-west, was originally located a short distance west of the house. In 1963, the garage was connected to the house by a flat-roofed breezeway which measures 20 feet by 10 feet. In its present configuration, the property, thus consists of the original house, and the garage, joined by the connecting breezeway. The house is supported by a low painted blue/grey concrete foundation, and its exterior walls are clad with yellow horizontal vinyl siding. The side-gabled roof is moderately-pitched, and is covered with grey asphalt shingles. The roof eaves are closed. A single-light fixed-pane picture window, covered by an aluminum awning, penetrates the façade wall to the north of the entry door. A single 1/1 double-hung sash window, also covered by an aluminum awning, penetrates the façade wall to the south of the entry door. There are two 1/1 double-hung sash windows on the south (side) elevation. On the north elevation, there are two 1/1 double-hung sash windows, and a non-original 1x1 horizontal sliding window in the connecting breezeway. All of the home's windows feature painted white wood frames and surrounds. A painted white solid wood door, with three stepped upper sash lights, and with a painted white wood screen door, is located on the façade. This door leads into the enclosed gabled front entryway from a 4-step concrete porch with flanking black wrought iron railings. A non-historic side entry door, covered by a painted white wood screen door, enters the connecting breezeway on the north elevation.

Historical Background - This house was built in 1948, and according to Greeley city directories, it was initially occupied by Fred and Rebecca Beierbach. The 1950 city directory lists Mr. Beierbach's occupation as "carpenter," so it is possible that he participated in the home's construction. The Beierbachs did not live here for long, however, as by 1952 this was the home of Marcus C. and Alice Leh. Mr. Leh was employed with the firm of Miner & Miner Consulting Engineers, according to the 1952 city directory. In 1956, the property was owned and occupied by Joseph E. Painter, Jr., but by 1957, it had been sold to Duane E. Fountain. The property was then sold again, in 1958 or 1959, to Oliver E. and Wilma H. Pumphrey. The Pumphrey family then lived and owned here through the end of the twentieth century, until Mr. Pumphreys death on January 5, 2000 at the age of eighty-one. Mrs. Pumphrey preceded her husband in death at an unknown date. For the past four years (2001 - 2005) the house has been owned and occupied by Monty L. Kraus. Oliver E. Pumphrey had been born in Greeley on January 22, 1918, the son of Joe and Laura (Sorenson) Pumphrey. He graduated from College (University) High School, and served in the U.S. Army, in the European Theater, during World Ware II. On June 11, 1938 he was wed to Wilma Swanson of Greeley. Mr. Pumphrey earned a living driving a cattle truck for many years, before becoming manager of Livestock Transport, Inc. He later managed the K-Bar Trucking Company, prior to his retirement in 1979. The Pumphreys raised one son, Ron, who became a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Air Force. Mr. Pumphrey enjoyed refinishing antique furniture. Recreationally, Mr. and Mrs. Pumphrey enjoyed fishing and spending time at their family cabin near Red Feather Lakes. Monty Kraus, the property's current owner, grew up in Windsor, but most of his family is now located in the Greeley area. He is employed as a warehouse manager for a local seed company.