n/a - 1735 6th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - n/a
Style - Other Style
Built Year - 1925
State ID - 5WL.5865

Description - The modest, one-story, Craftsman Bungalow at 1735 6th Avenue faces east. The wood-frame, rectangular plan building has a concrete foundation, a full basement, and a front-gabled roof with composition shingles. The roof features decorative, triangular knee braces, wooden shingles under the gable end, exposed rafters, and a brick chimney. The house is clad in painted horizontal wood siding, and one-over-one light windows are featured on all sides of the main floor; the basement has two sliding windows on the north and south elevations. Typical of the Craftsman style of architecture, the off-center, front-gabled porch is a prominent feature of the home. Porch features include decorative, triangular knee braces, decorative shingles under the gable end, exposed rafters, an enclosed ½ wall, and massive piers. Wooden steps with a simple balustrade on the south side of the porch provide access.

Historical Background - The Weld County Assessor’s records note that the home at 1735 6th Avenue was constructed in 1925. The 1926 City Directory lists Joseph Mooney, a master mechanic at the sugar company, and his wife Irene as the home’s first occupants. For the next fifteen years, residents of the home changed many times, including: Robert H. Morrison, Colorado Teacher’s College faculty, and his wife, Mabel, and their three children (1928); First Christian Church Pastor Charles E. and Martha Ann Hannan (1931); Vernon E. and Katherine Bowman (1933); salesman J. Russell and Lucille Johnson (1935); Thomas W. Reed, employed by Northern Colorado Finance, and his wife, Betty Jane (1936); Marshall B. Adams, employee of Weld County Garage, and his wife, Helen, and child (1938). In 1941, Samuel Otis Roberts and his wife, Fanny, lived in the home. The retired couple lived in the home for approximately eleven years. By 1954, Norman L. and Clara I. Davison lived at 1735 6th Avenue. Born in Elmo, Missouri, and Russellville, Tennessee, respectively, the couple married on February 6, 1925, in Iowa and moved to Greeley shortly thereafter. The couple had two sons, Lester and Harold. Mr. Davison worked as a painter and paper-hanging contractor for over forty years; he retired in the early 1970s. Mrs. Davison worked at Martin Produce from the late ‘50s-late ‘60s and then at the Lamplighter Motel. Mr. Davison died at the home on August 9, 1984. Mrs. Davison lived at the home until 1996; she died on August 15, 2004, at the age of 97. Her obituary noted that both her sons were deceased at that time. According to assessor’s records, Jack and Freida Lesser owned the home from at least 1975-1998; indeed, city directories only confirm the Davison’s as residents, not homeowners. (note: several Greeley City Directories used the symbol H encircled when home ownership was confirmed at the referenced address.) J. Kinney lived at the residence in 1997. Per assessor’s records, Brenda Schiessler owned the home from 1998-2007; she’s also listed as a resident in the 2000 City Directory. However, the 2002 City Directory lists Brett M. Johnson as the confirmed homeowner and resident. The current homeowner, B. Renee Alford, purchased the home in March 2008. She is remodeling the home for use as a rental property.