n/a - 1722 8th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - n/a
Style - Foursquare
Built Year - 1900
State ID - 5WL.5893

Description - 1722 8th Avenue is a brick Foursquare home that faces west. It has a sandstone foundation and hipped roof with asphalt composition shingles. The home’s windows have stone lintels and aluminum storm windows. The full width front porch has a hipped roof, brick half wall, classical columns, and centered entrance. One-over-one windows are on either side of the paneled, single light front door. On the second level of the façade, one-over-one windows are flanked by pilasters on each corner; two rectangular windows with decorative lights sit above a stone lintel and brick corbelling and flank decorative brickwork at the façade’s center. A central dormer with a hipped roof, plain wooden shingles, and diamond light windows completes the façade. Although vegetation conceals much of the south elevation, a one-over-one window with pilasters on the west corner, and two additional one-over-one windows are visible. The north elevation has a hipped roof bay with three one-over-one lights and a one-over-one window on the main level. The second level features a tall brick chimney extending through the roof, a one-over-one window with pilasters on the west corner, and a one-over-one window; windows are also visible on the basement level. The east elevation has a two story addition with a hipped roof and wood siding. The upper level has a ribbon of six, single light windows; the main level of the addition has two doors and several windows.

Historical Background - City Directories list P.W. and Sarah Goodrich as the home’s first occupants from 1907-1910. In 1913, H.H. and Mabel Harbough lived in the home. Chauncey F. Bell, a manager at Model Milling and Elevator Company, and his wife, Harriet, lived in the home from 1915-1923. From 1926-33, Lewis and Emma Cleghorn resided there. Clifford E. Reavis, a trucker, and his wife, Estella, lived at the house from 1935-36. Dr. Arthur R. and June Ringle followed in 1938-39. Alford R. and Hazel Taylor, employed as a teacher in Cody, Nebraska, and at J.C. Penney, respectively, resided at the address from 1939-40. In 1941, Roy and Mae Bennett lived there; only Mrs. Bennett (and eight other residents) is noted in the 1942 City Directory. In 1944, Philo E. and Gertrude M. Abbott lived in the home. In 1946, P.O.W. camp employee James P. Gianferante and his wife, Katherine, occupied the house. In 1948, Fred and Sarah Betz purchased the home. Mr. Betz was born in Russia in 1904; he immigrated to the United States with his parents in 1906. He began working in the Georgetown coal mines at age 13; he worked there until his retirement in 1969. Mr. and Mrs. Betz were married on May 11, 1924. Mr. Betz passed away on November 11, 1989, at his home. Mrs. Betz survived him. Mr. and Mrs. Betz began renting out a portion of their home in the 1960s. Today the house is owned by 1722 8th Avenue Land Trust and used as a rental property.