n/a - 1738 7th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - n/a
Style - Craftsman Bungalow
Built Year - 1912
State ID - 5WL.5895

Description - The west-facing Craftsman Bungalow home at 1738 7th Avenue has a concrete block foundation, horizontal wood siding, and a side gabled roof covered with asphalt composition shingles and decorative triangular braces. On the façade, the full-width front porch has three massive piers (one is missing), a half-wall with decorative half-timbering, and a centered entrance with concrete steps leading to a paneled front door and aluminum storm door. A multi-over-one light window with matching sidelights is on either side of the door; all windows are also covered by one-over-one aluminum storm windows. A central, gabled dormer with decorative braces and plain wooden shingles features two nine-light windows. On the north elevation, two small square windows, a pair of windows covered with aluminum storm windows, and two one-by-one basement windows are visible; additionally, a brick chimney extends up the north elevation and through the roof. Although vegetation and the neighboring home obscured necessary camera angles, the south elevation has a pair of windows covered with one-over-one aluminum storm windows and full length bay with a gabled roof on the east end. Additionally, an exterior entrance to the basement is on the south elevation; the entrance is enclosed by two half walls to the south and west and covered with a flat-roof shade composed of 2x4’s, which is partially covered by a shed roof addition under the gable end. The gabled ends on both the north and south elevations include plain wooden shingles and a pair of square multi-light windows. The east elevation has four one-over-one aluminum windows and a paneled door with a six-light window.

Historical Background - City Directories list farmer B.C. and Edna Rienks as the first occupants of the home in 1917. The Rienks lived in the home through the year 1935. A 1924 edition of The Weld County News states that Mrs. B.C. Rienk passed away on March 15, 1924, at age 40. The December 1947 death notice for Mr. Ben Rienks, does not mention a wife but does mention a daughter. Following the Rienks, Peter J. and Mary Deer lived in the home in 1936. From 1937-1942, attorney John C. Nixon and his wife resided at the address. Beginning in the mid 1940s, a portion of the home, likely the basement, was rented to a variety of people, including many students. However, carpenter Albert James Kinnison and his wife, Olinda, lived in the home from 1944-1957. Mr. Kinnison was born in Nebraska but moved to Greeley in 1944 to work in the Greeley Planing Mill. Sadly, Mrs. Kinnison died in 1957; Mr. Kinnison moved and remarried in 1958. Their son, Lyonel Kinnison, lived in the home during the 1970s; he is also listed as the owner through the 1980s although he is not listed as an occupant after 1979. Steven Williams of Longmont currently owns the home and uses it as a rental property.