n/a - 1736 8th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - n/a
Style - Late Victorian
Built Year - 1906
State ID - 5WL.5896

Description - 1736 8th Avenue is a west-facing, Late Victorian home with a sandstone foundation, wide vinyl siding, and a cross-gabled roof with asphalt composition shingles, boxed eaves, and eave returns. The home’s windows are all covered by one-over-one aluminum storm windows. The façade features an offset front porch that wraps around to the south elevation; the shed roof porch has dentil molding, a pediment with dentil molding and floral decoration, and simple round posts that extend to the concrete floor. The front door is centered under the pediment; it has a picture window with sidelights to the north while a one-over-one window is to the south on the recessed portion of the front elevation. Directly above the front door, a small porch with a single column and balustrade rail is accessed from the second floor. Other façade windows include two one-over-ones on the second level and a pair of one-over-one windows under the gable end. The north elevation has a set of wooden stairs that provide access to an exterior door; two one-over-one windows and a window under the gable end are also visible. The south elevation includes the extension of the front porch, a cross gable with a window, and four one-over-one windows. The east elevation has a shed roof, enclosed porch with two one-by-one windows and a set of wooden stairs that extends up to the second floor entrance.

Historical Background - City Directories list Smith and Sue Johnson as the home’s first occupants in 1907; the Johnsons lived there until 1928. Mr. Johnson operated the South Greeley Coal and Feed Store for several years prior to retirement. In 1931, B. Frank Mitchell and his wife Esther lived in the home. Mrs. Cora E. Bower, the widow of Dr. Curtis E. Bower, lived in the home from 1935-1950 and worked as a housekeeper. From 1952-59, D.A. and Elizabeth Berry resided in the home. Erick S. and Charlotte Linden lived at the address from 1960-63. Beginning in 1965, the home was used as a rental property, often with students from the college as occupants. In 1979, photographer Ken Sabian purchased the home; he lived in one of the units and rented out the others. Dennis and Marie Roth purchased the home in 1998; they also use it as a rental property.