Linville House - 614 17th Street

 Print Listing Historical Name - Meyer House
Style - Minimal Traditional
Built Year - 1940
State ID - 5WL.5899

Description - 614 17th Street is a Minimal Traditional home that faces north and has a concrete foundation, vinyl siding, and a hipped roof with asphalt composition shingles and negligible overhang. The façade has a front-gabled projection, a centered front door with an aluminum screen door, and nine-over-nine light windows covered with aluminum storm windows on either side of the front door. A brick chimney is also visible from the north elevation. The front porch is a wooden deck with a shed roof, squared posts and both a wrought iron and simple horizontal, wooden railing; lattice covers the bottom half of the porch. Though partially concealed by the privacy fence, three windows with metal awnings are visible on the west elevation; the east elevation is likewise concealed by a privacy fence, but three nine-over-nine light windows covered with aluminum storm windows are visible from a distance. The south elevation has a ground level entrance with an aluminum storm door and six-over-six light windows covered with aluminum storm windows on either side of it. Two basement windows are also visible on the rear elevation.

Historical Background - Although Weld County Assessor’s Records give 1940 as the construction date for 614 17th Street, the property is not listed in City Directories in that year. It’s listed as vacant in 1941, but in 1942, Nels and Willye Anderson are listed as the first occupants. Mrs. Minnie Meyer is listed from 1944-73. Mrs. Meyer was born in La Salle on January 6, 1890. She married Stephen Meyer in 1911; the couple had five daughters and four sons before Mr. Meyer died in January of 1942. Her sons, Cecil, Howard, and Edwin C. are also listed as residents of the home at various times while Mrs. Meyer lived there. In 1977, Terry and Fayne Blehm moved into the home. Mr. Blehm worked at Edwards Chevrolet and later owned Blehm Paint and Body Shop. City Directories list the Blehms as the home’s occupants through 1984. Jim Rascher owned the home from 1987-88, and Jane S. Miller and Michael Moguel are listed as occupants in 1994 and 1995, respectively. Other directories in the 1980s and ‘90s do not list the occupants of the home. Trent A. and Sherri L. Linville, the current residents, purchased the home in June 2006.