825 12TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Arthur Strong House
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Prairie Style
Built Year - 1903-1906
State ID - 5WL3084

Description - This Prairie style residence is an irregular-shaped, two story, brick structure with a composition shingle, hipped roof. Roof features include hipped front and side dormers, wide overhanging eaves and decorative brackets. It has a stone foundation and brick and stone exterior with added wood panel siding enclosing the front porch. The main facade is broken into three bays and contains off-centered entrances. The doors are wood with three lights (newer). The one-story, enclosed porch has stone column bases. The porch has been enclosed with stucco (an obvious alteration). Windows are wood frame, double hung and metal frame storm windows, and one-light picture windows, including a bay window on the second story. The two brick chimneys are located on the southwest and northeast corners of the house.

Historical Background - According to Sanborn maps and City Directories, this house was originally numbered as 821 12th Street, instead of 825 12th Street. The house was built between 1903-1906, as there is no listing the City Directories for 821 or 825 12th Street in 1903, but 821 12th Street is listed in the 1906 directory and is on the 1906 Sanborn map but not on the 1901 Sanborn map. Arthur Strong was the original owner of the house. The City Directories list his profession as stockman, sheepman, retired farmer, livestock, ranchman, and sheep feeder. He lived in the house from 1906 until his death in July 1931. He was a thirty-second degree Mason, a Woodman of the World and a member of the Greeley Elks Club. During his career, he affiliated himself with Mr. B.D. Sanborn and Governor Benjamin Eaton. According to his obituary, “He was very interested in the growth of Greeley and its institutions. He was extensively engaged in the sheep and farming industries.” His wife, Isabelle Maynard Strong, continued to live in the house for a short time after her husband’s death. William I. Dukes lived in the house in 1933, and then from 1935 - 1938, Harry D. Pulis, an employee of the Union Pacific Railroad, lived there with his wife Ellen and their family. The address likely changed in 1939-1940 or the house was razed and another house constructed on the same lot 1939-1940, as there is no listing for either 821 or 825 12th Street. From 1940 until about 1948, John Giamnias, co-proprietor of the Colorado Café, lived in the house at 825 12th Street. From 1950 until the present, the property has been apartments.