Thompson-Roth House - 1427 9TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - W.R. Adams House
Style - Foursquare
Built Year - 1902
State ID - 5WL3099

Description - The Adams House was a large, elaborately detailed brick Foursquare with a stone foundation and hipped roof with multiple dormers. A second-storey balcony and elaborately detailed windows featured with first-story bays and a detailed porch with unfluted Ionic columns. Today the painted brick structure features multiple additions, of frame or brick, and is dominated by a third-storey frame “penthouse.” The stone foundation still exists in the original portion of the building. The main facade is broken into three bays and contains a central entrance. The one-story porch has been altered and features wrought-iron and metal details. Windows are aluminum frame of different varieties and styles. The multiple original chimneys have either been removed or are obscured by alterations and additions; however, one chimney does remain on the north facade.

Historical Background - The building’s original owner, William R. Adams, was born in Iowa in 1864 and came to Greeley in 1888, after moving to various parts of the West. He prepared the Abstract Books for Weld County and formed the Weld County Abstract Co., which he sold his interest in 1894. He served as County Clerk in 1901, served on the City Council from 1909 to 1910, and was clerk for the District Court from 1919 to 1925. Adams served as Secretary for the Greeley Board of Trade and was instrumental in bringing the sugar factory to Greeley. However, his most notable accomplishment involved his work with water rights. Known for his knowledge of water rights, Adams was involved with the construction of the Little Thompson Reservoir , 15 miles southwest of Greeley in the Milliken Valley, in 1896-97. The source of the reservoir is the Big Thompson River, Little Thompson Creek, and Smutzler and Willis Ditch. W. R. Admams built the house at 1427 9th Avenue in 1902 for $8,000.