Beggs House - 1522-26 9TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Cornell House (1522) & Swanson-Burns House (1526)
Style - Late Victorian/Queen Anne - Vernacular
Built Year - 1890, 1893
State ID - 5WL3114, 5WL

Description - 1522 9th Avenue - This vernacular Queen Anne style residence is an irregular shaped, one-story, brick structure with a composition shingle, hipped roof with cross gables. Roof features include a gabled front porch addition with fishscale shingles in gables. It has a stucco-covered foundation and stucco over brick exterior. The main facade is broken into three bays and contains a centered entrance. The one-story front porch is probably an alteration and it has no Queen Anne characteristics. Windows are double hung, wood frame and have arched brick over them and are recessed. The metal stovepipe is located on the north side between the gables. 1526 9th Avenue - This vernacular Queen Anne style residence is an L-shaped, two-story, wood frame structure with an asphalt shingle, gabled roof. Roof features include a main front gable with an intersecting hipped roof on the north side. It has a stone foundation and vinyl siding. The main facade is broken into three bays and contains two front entrances. The one-story, wood porch has a concrete slab foundation and a wood balustrade rail. Windows are one-over-one, double hung and have wide wood trim and a twenty-light fixed above the second story windows on the front gable end. The brick chimney is located just north of the main gable. Alterations include a shed roof addition on the rear and aluminum frame storm windows and storm doors. Also, the asphalt shingles on the roof.

Historical Background - 1522 9th Avenue The first owner of this house was Reverend R.A. Cornell and his family, who lived here in approximately 1898, probably from the time it was built. Mrs. F.S. Thompson, a widow and housekeeper, lived in the house from 1901 until 1926. No information is available on these people. 1526 9th Avenue The structure was built in ca. 1893, and the first listing in the Greeley City Directories is in 1898, listing Harry S. Swanson, Harry W. Swanson, Hildegard and Ollie Swanson as living there. Harry Swanson was a merchant tailor and thirty year resident of Greeley. He was active in community organizations including the Elks Club, Mason Lodge and Knights of the Pythias. He died at the age of fifty-eight in San Diego after a stroke. His only son, Harry Swanson, Jr., died of wounds in France during the advance of American Expeditionary Forces during World War I. John and Ruth Burns moved to Greeley in 1917, and later lived in the house at 1526 9th Avenue from 1948 until 1967, when John died. Mr. Burns farmed in Weld County for thirty-seven years. For thirty of those years he farmed on the Greeley City Reservoir property. Ruth Burns worked as a linotype operator for the Greeley Tribune for forty years, until she retired in 1963. Ruth Burns continued to live in the house from 1967 until 1978, when she moved to Fairburn, South Dakota. Ruth was a member of the Women’s Auxiliary 66 of International Typographical Union Greeley Local 586, a member of the Order of Eastern Star, and a member of the HGL Club. Mr. And Mrs. Burns were also members of the Amico Club. She died in 1985.