Plumb Farm Learning Center - 955 39TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - White-Plumb Farm
Style - Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Colonial Revival & Late Victorian/Queen Anne
Built Year - 1907
State ID - 5WL322

Description - This Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style farmhouse is a roughly rectangular, two-story, wood frame structure with a wood shingle, side gabled roof. Roof features include a slight bell-cast shape, a dormer on the east side and eave returns on the gable ends. The gable ends also have fishscale shingles and round attic vents. It has a rusticated stone foundation and lapped siding. The main façade is broken into three bays and contains a centered entrance. The one-story, partial width porch has a shed roof which extends from the main roof, Tuscan columns, a black metal balustrade rail, lattice facing and a wide frieze under the eaves. Windows are wood frame, one-over-one double-hung sash windows and have aluminum frame storm windows. The chimney is located on the main ridge of the roof, near the center of the house.

Historical Background - Colonel Charles A. White, a veteran of the Civil War, joined the Union Colony settlement at Greeley on January 20, 1871. He was a farmer and a mason, building some of the first homes, churches and schools in Greeley, in addition to being a civic leader who served as Postmaster and Mayor. Col. White established a tree claim, with rows of ash and cottonwood planted as early as 1881. His Timber Culture Patent was proved up in 1892. Eighty acres of the original 160 acre tree claim was sold in 1903 to finance construction of the house, according to family records. Built in 1907, the house, a Free Classic Queen Anne style house, was designed by Bessie Smith, a well-known Greeley architect known as "… the only lady architect in Denver…," who moved back to Greeley in 1903. Anticipating that electricity would become available eventually, Col. White had the house wired during construction; it took 20 years for service to be hooked up. The house was designed with an indoor bathroom. Charles O. Plumb, White's grandson, purchased the second 80 acres and the farm house in 1923 from the family; he sold all but the original farmstead and several acres to the west for a housing development in 1965 and post office in 1986. Mr. Plumb was the first 4-H club leader in the county, Vice-President of the Mountain States Beet Growers Association, President of the Weld County Health Association, Chairman of the Agricultural Planning Committee and County Commissioner over the many years he served the community. He lived there until his death in 1997. The City of Greeley began to acquire the remaining property in 1998 and completed purchase of the final piece in 2000.