MacIntosh House - 1324 10TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - McClenahan House
Style - Foursquare
Built Year - 1905
State ID - 5WL3377

Description - This Foursquare house is a rectangular, two-story, brick structure with an asphalt shingle, hipped roof. Roof features include wide overhanging bell cast eaves with brackets and several hipped roof dormers. It has a stone foundation and brick exterior. The main fa├žade contains an off-centered entrance. The one-story, wrap-around porch has a wide frieze board under the eaves of the hipped roof, Doric columns, a balustrade rail and lattice facing. Windows are one-over-one wood frame sash with stone sills and lintels. There are some diamond-shaped windows and a two-story bay window also.

Historical Background - Designed by architect C.H. Chandler in 1905, this house was built for the family of Greeley financier A.M. McClenahan. Known as "Greeley's pioneer architect," Chandler designed several other notable Greeley residences, including the J. Max Clark House at 1111 5th Street, the Dr. John A. Weaver House at 1405 9th Avenue (no longer standing), the Mrs. R.H. Johns House at 1803 10th Avenue, and the Mrs. Katherine W. Hamnett House at 1317 11th Avenue. After arriving in Greeley in 1889, McClenahan became a highly successful businessman, dealing in insurance, and in real estate loans and investments. McClenahan's great business acumen saw him through the financial panic of 1893, as he facilitated choice property loans for eastern investors. In addition to his business dealings, McClenahan (along with his wife Jennie), became a leading member of the community. Among other endeavors, McClenahan: helped lead the local drive to establish the beet sugar industry in northeast Colorado; was a member of the group which brought Colorado State Teachers College to Greeley; established a pure-bred Jersey cattle herd and helped pioneer Weld County's dairy industry; was active in bringing new industries to Greeley, including the Empson Packing Company; was a member, and served a term as President, of the Greeley Kiwanis Club; and was a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Greeley. McClenahan lived in this house from the time of its construction in 1905-1906, until 1920 when he sold it to Theodore L. and Louise Boye. The Boyes, who were farmers, in turn, sold it in 1924 to Denver D. Dunn, local produce dealer.