Peddycord House - 1720 12TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Peddycord House
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Craftsman
Built Year - 1909
State ID - 5WL3485

Description - This Craftsman style residence is a rectangular, one-and-one-half story, wood frame structure with a wood shingle, bellcast side-gabled roof. Roof features include exposed rafter ends and a front gabled dormer. It has a concrete foundation and brick and wood shingle exterior. The main facade is broken into three bays and contains an off-centered entrance with a wood paneled and glazed door. There is also a side entrance on the south elevation. The one-story, full width screened porch has brick columns with a solid brick railing. Windows are nine-over-one, wood frame double hung, although there are some stained glass, beveled transoms over wood frame picture windows. The brick chimney is located on the south gable end. An obvious alteration is the deck added on the rear of the house (on the east elevation).

Historical Background - Frank B. Rosier and May Rosier were the original owners of the house, as referred to in in a Statement of Lien by the Sherman Concrete Company dated September 13, 1909 and an article in the Greeley Pioneer in June 1909. According to the article, Frank B. Rosier built the house for his family at a cost of $5,000. Frank Rosier was an electrical engineer with a business called Rosier Electric Company. The firm worked on electrical signs and supplies and designed and installing of lighting for power and irrigation plants. They also did wiring for residences and businesses, including the addition to the Camfield Hotel. He sold the house to H.M. Bull, proprietor of Bull-Housh Dry Goods Co. in 1916. Bull sold the property to William A. Samuelson and Ada M. Samuelson on July 3, 1919. William died in 1928, and Ada rented part of the house to various people until she sold it to her son John W. Allnutt. John lived in the house with his wife Katherine and their family until August of 1965, when they sold it to the current owners Clyde and Elverda Peddycord. John Allnutt worked as a mortician at Macy’s, Inc., where he eventually became a partner. He was an active member of the community, having been involved in the First Congregational United Church of Christ, on the board of the chamber of Commerce and on the District Six School Board. He served as president of the School Board in 1947-1948. He also served as the Weld County Coroner from 1942 until 1950 and as president of the Colorado Funeral Directors Association. His father was Fred Allnutt, who was a partner in Macy Mortuary and was the son-in-law of Thomas G. Macy, the founder of Macy Mortuary.