Smith House - 1840 12TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Huntington House; Flood House
Style - Bungalow
Built Year - 1922
State ID - 5WL3490

Description - This Bungalow style dwelling is located on the east side of 12th Avenue, in the block between Cranford Place and 19th Street. The house rests on a low concrete foundation, which has been painted beige, and the foundation walls are penetrated by 2-light hopper basement windows. The building is of wood frame construction, and its exterior walls are cladded with painted brown, narrow, horizontal wood siding. The house is covered by a moderately-pitched intersecting hip and gable roof, with brown asphalt shingles, and with exposed rafter ends beneath the roof eaves. There are two stuccoed brick chimneys - one is a fireplace chimney, located on the exterior of the north elevation, and the other is located on the roof ridge. The home's windows are primarily single, paired, and tripled, 5-over-1 (ribbon style) double-hung sash, with painted beige wood frames and surrounds, and with painted brown exterior wood screens. A single 4-light window is located in the upper gable end on the façade (west elevation), and single 4-light windows flank the fireplace chimney on the north elevation. The house features a Craftsman-style front porch on the façade. Approached by four concrete steps, the porch has a tongue-and-groove wood floor, stuccoed brick pedestals, and tapered wood piers, which support a gabled porch roof. A stained natural brown solid wood door, with three upper sash lights, and with a metal storm door, leads from the porch into the home's interior. A rear entrance is located on the east elevation, where a painted brown wood-paneled door, with an aluminum storm door, opens onto a shed-roofed, concrete patio. An attached garage/workshop addition was built onto the east end of the north elevation, circa 1986. This addition, which extends into the backyard to the east, has a low-pitched gable roof, and is of wood frame construction, with horizontal masonite exterior siding.

Historical Background - This house was built in 1922, and was originally the home of Arthur G. and Virgie Huntington, who lived here until circa 1934. Mr. Huntington taught for twenty-three years at Greeley High School, where he was head of the manual arts department and was a teacher of manual training and mechanical drawing. He had been born in Missouri on August 4, 1874 and had come to Greeley in 1918. Four years later, the Huntingtons moved into this newly-built residence on 12th Avenue. After moving from this location in the mid-1930s, the Huntingtons built a new residence at 1916 Montview Drive, in the not yet developed Glenmere neighborhood. Putting his mechanical and carpenter skills to work, Mr. Huntington built much of the Montview Drive home himself. In 1945, the Huntingtons moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where Mrs. Huntington died in 1952. In 1956, Mr. Huntington returned to Greeley, where he lived until his death in June 1963. In the late 1930s and early 1940s, this property was successively home to Jewell Bernard Blagen, Louis Hart, and Mrs. Nannie S. Coffman. In the early 1950s, this was the residence of J. Barney Flood, co-founder of the Flood and Peterson Insurance Company. Residents here in the late 1950s and during the 1960s, included E.C. Voelker, F.N. Walek, and Thomas Cadigan. Throughout much of the 1970s, 1840 12th Avenue was home to Robert L. and Marquita Austin. Born in Denver in 1929, Mr. Austin attended Regis High School and Regis College there, before moving to Greeley. He was a member of Evans Moose Lodge, St. Mary's Catholic Church, and the Colorado Gemologists Association. He passed away on March 31, 1999.