Loftis House - 1815 13TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Carlson-Loftis House
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Craftsman
Built Year - 1920
State ID - 5WL3570

Description - This Craftsman style residence is a rectangular, one-and-one-half story, wood frame structure with an asphalt shingle, side gabled roof. Roof features include exposed rafter ends, wide overhanging eaves, decorative purlins and a ridge pole and gabled dormers on the east and west elevations. It has a concrete foundation with brick veneer and brick exterior. The main fa├žade is broken into three bays and contains a centered entrance. The one-story, enclosed porch has exposed rafter ends with brick supports and knee walls. Windows are primarily single and tripled (ribbon style) 3/1 double hung sash with painted wood frames and surrounds and brick rowlock sills. There are also hopper windows and glazing in the doors. A brick fireplace chimney is located on the exterior of the north elevation.

Historical Background - Built in 1920, this Craftsman style house served historically as the residence of at least two prominent Greeley families. According to Greeley city directories, the property's original occupant was Charles T. Ahlstrand who lived here in 1920 and 1921. The property's next owner, from 1922 to 1932, was Frederick Wilson Clark, a noted Greeley attorney. Born in Greeley on June 20, 1879, F.W. Clark attended local public schools before obtaining a degree at the Colorado State Normal School (University of Northern Colorado) in Greeley, followed by a law degree earned at the University of Colorado Law School. Frederick and his wife, Gertrude, were married at Trinidad in June 1901, where they raised two sons, Edward W. Clark and Albert F. Clark. Frederick practiced law in Trinidad from 1903 to 1917 before serving in the military during World War I, between February 1918 and January 1919. After the War, the Clark family relocated to Frederick's home town of Greeley, and by 1922, they were living in this house on 13th Avenue. In Greeley, Frederick served as a county judge, and was elected a City of Greeley Alderman for the term 1919-1920. Active in civic affairs as well, Frederick was a Commander in the American Legion, was a 32nd degree Mason, and served on the Executive Council of the Boy Scouts of America. During the period 1933 to 1941, this house was home to a number of short-term occupants, including Edward Selander (1933-6), Thomas A. Webb (1937), Hugh Drake (1938), Harvey S. Looper (1939), Bert A. Shafer (1940) and Laurence M. Thompson (1941). In 1942, William and Lois Carlson acquired the property and the home subsequently remained with the Carlson family for nearly three decades. William Albion Carlson was born October 30, 1908 to William Albert and Gerta (Bengston) Carlson on the family homestead southwest of Greeley. In 1931, Carlson received a bachelor's degree and teaching certificate from the Colorado State College of Education (U.N.C.), followed by a master's degree in statistics the following year. Following his marriage to his first wife, Lois E. Lucore, in 1934, Carlson attended the University of Michigan Law School where he received his law degree in 1935. After returning to Greeley in 1936, Carlson embarked on a legislative political career which spanned nearly twenty years. A member of the Republican party, Carlson was elected to the Colorado House of Representatives in 1938. He subsequently served in the House for ten years, including a term as Speaker of the House in 1947 and 1948. He then served eight years in the Colorado Senate, including two terms as the majority leader. Carlson retired from political life in 1956 to devote time to his law practice, ranching and oil development in Weld County.