Day House/Olson House - 1128 18TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Peterson House/Heimke House
Style - Craftsman style bungalow
Built Year - 1920
State ID - 5WL3672

Description - This Craftsman style bungalow is located at the southeast corner of 18th Street and 12th Avenue. The house rests on a low concrete foundation, and has a full basement with 3/1 (ribbon-style) single-hung sash basement windows. The basement windows have painted blue wood frames and surrounds, and non-historic metal storm windows. The house is of wood frame construction, and its exterior walls have been cladded with cream yellow color horizontal vinyl siding. The house is covered by a moderately-pitched front gable roof, covered with brown asphalt shingles, and with exposed rafter ends beneath the eaves. Square-cut wood shingles appear in the upper gable ends on the north and south elevations. There are two red brick chimneys; one chimney is located on the interior of the east elevation, the other chimney with a corbelled cap is located on the exterior of the west elevation. The house's windows are primarily single, paired, and tripled 4/1 (ribbon style) single-hung sash, with painted green wood frames and surrounds, and with non-historic exterior metal storm windows. A stained natural brown solid wood door, with six upper sash lights, and with a non-historic wood storm door, opens onto a 4-step Craftsman-style porch on the north elevation (fa├žade). The porch features a concrete floor, red brick knee walls, red brick pedestals, and tapered wood piers, which support a gabled porch roof. A secondary entrance into the house is located on the east elevation. Here, a painted blue wood-paneled door, with a non-historic black metal security door, opens onto a 2-step wood and concrete stoop, covered by a non-historic aluminum awning. Below this entrance, a set of eight wood steps descends to a painted white wood-paneled basement-level door.

Historical Background - This modest single-family house was constructed circa 1920 - one or more than 200 houses which were constructed in the Cranford neighborhood during the 1910s and 1920s. This house, like most of the neighborhood houses built in the teens and twenties, was constructed as a Craftsman style bungalow. The home's earliest known residents were the Peterson family who moved to Greeley from Idaho Springs in 1919. At that time, the family included John August Peterson (born 1859), his wife Mary Tekla Peterson (born 19863), and their grown daughter Gertrude (born 1898). John Peterson passed away on February 9, 1922. Mary, his widow, continued to live in this house with her daughter until her death on February 22, 1937. Gertrude Peterson, who never married, evidently sold the property the following year. In 1920, one year after her family's arrival, Gertrude established the Sterling Beauty Parlor in Greeley. She subsequently owned and worked there for forty-eight years, until she finally retired in 1968. Gertrude passed away on March 23, 1984 at the age of 86. In the late 1930s and early 1940s, 1128 18th Street was home to a number of short term residents, including Dwight O. Cline, Timothy Virginius, and Lyster English. In 1943, the property was purchased by Dale and Ruth Heimke who had recently moved to Greeley from Iowa. The Heimke family, initially including daughters Mary Ann and Ruth, and son David, subsequently made their home here until circa 1975 when they sold the property to James A. Wanner. Mr. Heimke had been born October 3, 1911 at Kent, Iowa to William and Olive (Bowers) Heimke. He married Ruth Barrus in Winterset, Iowa on July 27, 1936. Soon afterward, the family came to Greeley, and by 1943 they were residing in this house on 18th Street. Mr. Heimke was the office manager for the Greeley Coca Cola Bottling Company for 36 years. Outside of work, he was a member of the Masonic Lodge, belonged to the Methodist Church, and was an avid tennis player. He passed away on September 22, 2000, two months after he and Ruth had celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary.