Sunday-Zwetkof House; Hereford House - 1203 19TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Hereford House
Style - Modern Movements/Moderne
Built Year - 1936
State ID - 5WL3711

Description - This Art Modern style residence is a one story, brick structure with a flat roof. Roof features include coping (a small ledge of brick headers along the top, which is also found on the addition and chimneys). It has a concrete foundation and brick exterior. The asymmetrical main facade contains an off-centered, recessed entry with brick steps. There is a concrete canopy over the entrance as well as over the garage door on the north elevation. Windows include multi-light, metal frame casement, multi-light fixed and glass block. The two brick chimneys are located on the north elevation, one on the 1945 enclosed solarium on the west end of the house, and one on the northeast end of the building. Characteristic features on this house include a one story addition, which was originally a flagstone terrace, but was enclosed as a solarium in 1945 (Sidney Frazier designed this addition). The coping along the roof and the additional brick horizontal detailing under the roof line and by the windows are characteristic of Art Moderne style. The rounded corner on the east elevation and south elevation, as well as the entrance are characteristic of this style. Finally, the glass block and windows wrapping around several of the corners are also characteristic of Art Moderne. The windows are nearly flush with the wall, contributing to the streamline effect. This style of residence, built in the 1930s and 1940s, is rare. The streamlined quality seen in the curves and horizontal characteristics represents a strong industrial influence, with the increased use of autos, planes, ships, etc.

Historical Background - Prominent local architect Sidney Frazier designed this house in 1936 for Alma Hereford, who owned the Toggery Shop, a ladies’ ready-to-wear shop on 8th Avenue. The house was built in 1936-1937 as a duplex with one full apartment on each end separated by a garage. Alma was a widow and she lived in the house until her death in 1965. Her sister, Marjorie MacKenzie, lived in the house with her. While the house was built, both women boarded at the Camfield Hotel. Marjorie worked at Greeley Laundry for several years before she started working for Alma at the Toggery Shop. Marjorie lived in the house until her death in 1979.