Clark House - 931 12TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Davis House
Style - Late Victorian/Queen Anne
Built Year - 1901-1902
State ID - 5WL3749

Description - This Free Classic Queen Anne style residence is a square-shaped one and one half story wood frame structure with composition shingle side gabled roof with flared eaves and eave returns. Roof features include front and rear front-gabled dormers, decorative brackets under the eaves and wood shingles on the gable ends and dormers. It has a stone foundation and wood lap siding and wood shingle exterior. The main fa├žade contains a centered entrance. The one-story, wrap around porch has Tuscan columns and a low, wood-shingled knee-wall. Windows are wood frame, double hung sash and are Queen Anne sash windows on the south and west elevations. The front dormer windows are grouped in a ribbon (three in a row). The west and east gable ends have paired windows. The brick chimney is located near the center of the roof on the north side.

Historical Background - This house was likely built in 1901-1902 for John Sidney Davis. Davis purchased the property from Nelson C. Roe in May 1901, but there is no listing for the property in the 1901-1902 city directory. The first listing in the city directory for this address is in the 1903 directory. Davis was a local banker, born in Larimer County in 1875, after his parents immigrated from Wales. He graduated from Greeley High School in 1894, and by 1896, he went to work for First National Bank as a bookkeeper. He worked at First National Bank as cashier and later was promoted to Vice President. From 1919 through 1928 he served on the City Council and was the chairman of the Council's water committee during much of his tenure as a councilman. He lived in this house from approximately 1902 until 1908. He was active in many other organizations in Greeley, including the Rotary Club, Greeley Tennis League and was a member of the Park Congregational Church, serving as church treasurer for many years. He served as director of the Sterling Realty Company, the Northern Colorado Building and Loan Association and the Weld County Farmer's Protective Association and served on the board of the Chamber of Commerce. From 1908-1909 through 1939, Mrs. Lulu Davis Burr lived in the house likely until her death. The house stood vacant for several years. Fred C. Robertson, an engineer for the Union Pacific Railroad, lived there from 1944 through 1950.