Book Stop - 931 16TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Hallett Drug Company Building; Campus Pharmacy Building
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - 1928
State ID - 5WL3758

Description - This Twentieth Century Commercial style building is a rectangular, two-story (plus a basement), brick structure with a flat asphalt roof. Roof features include a brick parapet with brick corbeling and terra cotta decoration, and a terra cotta cornice. The corner entrance has metal and glass doors with a transom above with a “BOOK STOP” sign on it. Other entrances include the recessed, wood, diamond-paneled door on the south elevation leading to the second story apartments. It has sidelights and a multi-light, three-part transom with beveled glass. There is also an entrance to the gallery on the south elevation and on the east elevation. A door to Margie’s Java Joint is located on the east elevation, and has an awning over it with concrete steps leading to it. There is an entrance on the rear, as well as a basement-level entrance in the rear (north elevation) A door on the second floor opens to a metal balcony. It has a concrete foundation and brick exterior with terra cotta detailing. Windows include multi-light-over-one, double hung with storm windows with brick sills, metal frame storefront windows with terra cotta sills and wood sills. Windows on the south elevation have brick label molds or crowns. There are several second floor wood frame, multi-light doors opening onto metal balconettes, including one over the southwest corner entry, one on the north end of the west elevation and one on the east end of the south elevation. Boarded up transom windows over the storefront windows are concealed by the awnings. Decorative terra cotta tiles with rosettes is on the south and west elevations. A brick chimney is located on the northeast corner.

Historical Background - Hallett and Riley Investment Company built this building in 1928 for $23,000. It was originally constructed to use the lower floor for business space and the upper floor for four apartments, as it is used currently. City directories indicate that the first occupant was the College Corner Tea Room, and by 1930, Hallett Drug Company occupied the lower portion and the Antonia Apartments were the name of the second story apartments. Charles H. Hallett and Francis A. Riley purchased the property in 1925 and built this building three years later. C.H. Hallett lived in one of the apartments. The name changed to Hallett Hill Store in 1937, and then Hallett’s Drug Store in 1942. Hallett died in 1943, and his portion was sold to Earl and Edwina Hanshew in 1944. Riley also sold his portion to the Hanshews in 1944. Charles Hallett was a prominent businessman born in Ontario, but who moved to Greeley at the age of five. He and Francis Riley established the Hallett Drug Company in 1917. Hallett also owned a ranch near Kersey. He never married and was survived by siblings and nieces. The Hanshews owned the property until 1959, when they sold it to Peterson Pharmacies, Inc., likely owned by Charles and Sue Peterson, the proprietors of Campus Pharmacy. Campus Pharmacy occupied this building from 1946 through 1977. The Campus Korner Apartments were located above. The building changed hands several more times before it was purchased by the current owners, Ron and Linde Thompson. The Book Stop has occupied the building since 1990, and other current occupants are Margie’s Java Joint and Madison & Main Gallery. There are still apartments on the upper floor.