Maxfield's Treasures - 918 8TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Greeley Motor Company
Style - No Style
Built Year - 1906-09
State ID - 5WL4118

Description - One-story, flat roof, rectangular commercial building. Facade clad with brick; walls step in to form angled, center entrance; metal frame, glazed door. Rectangular plate glass windows with brick sills flank entrance. Facade features slightly projecting brick pilasters of stacked brick. Full-width, shed roof overhang on facade. Rear wall stuccoed; flush panel door with shed roof hood; concrete apron.

Historical Background - This building, together with 920 8th Avenue to the south, was originally part of one structure. During 1909-18 the building housed the Greeley Motor Company. The Greeley Booster of 27 February 1942 indicated that the Flood Brothers, who sold Ramblers, operated the company. A 1919 building permit indicates that C.H. Mulford remodeled the building into two storefronts at a cost of $4,000. In 1922 through at least 1960 the Greeley Tent & Awning Company was listed here. J.E. Jones, who came from Wales, established Greeley Tent & Awning Company. A photograph taken about 1910 shows the business operating at 812 8th Avenue at that time. In 1970 two businesses, Affiliated Trading Company and Mor-Valu Stamp Gift Center, occupied the building.