Vacant - 800-04 8TH ST/801 8TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Shaw Dry Goods/Woolworth’s/Clark & Faulkner Drug
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - 1912-13, 1926
State ID - 5WL4125

Description - Large, two-story, rectangular, corner commercial building. Flat roof. Upper two-thirds of walls on north and east are clad with stuccoed panels. Front (north) has inset center entrance with double metal frame glazed doors. Entrance area has board and batten infill. There is green slate flooring in the entrance area. Large band of metal frame plate glass display windows on either side of entrance; windows wrap around corner to east. Terra cotta panels under windows and on end piers resembles granite. East wall has board and batten motif siding on lower wall and plate glass display windows at south end of wall. East wall has inset entrance at south end with metal frame glazed double doors. Older building visible on west end of façade with third story which has painted brick with a flat roof, and a heavy projecting cornice with scroll brackets, block dentils, and molding. There are metal quoins and a large 1/1-light double-hung sash window and two altered windows. The windows are recessed and they are surrounded by molding. There is a decorative band of ornament under the windows. The rear wall (south) of the building clearly shows the original division of the building. The western part of the rear wall is three stories and is unpainted and has four flat arch double-hung sash windows on the third story and three on the second, as well as two smaller windows on the first story (a third is bricked in). There is a short brick chimney at the southeast corner of this section of the building. The center section of the rear wall is lower, and has a small fixed-light window and two double-hung sash windows (one altered) on the second story. The east section of the rear wall is higher than the center but lower than the west and has two double-hung sash windows on the second story.

Historical Background - A City of Greeley building permit issued to Harry H. Shaw indicates that the west section of this building was erected in 1912-13, as a three-story brick building with a stone foundation for general merchandise purposes. The west section of the property had earlier held a pre-1882 two-story brick building, housing a drug and bookstore on the first story and offices on the upper story. Two smaller two-story buildings on the east were replaced in 1926. The 1886, 1891, and 1895 Sanborn maps show a drugstore and bookstore with offices on the second story in the western storefront. The eastern storefront was shown as offices in 1882 and 1886, and housed a restaurant in 1891. By that year, the east part of the building had received additional space to the rear, which housed a confectionery and shoe shop. The eastern space was further extended to the rear by 1895, when it had offices in the front, and a variety of businesses at the rear, including a cigar shop, a tailor, a barber, and a gun shop. The center storefront had a clothing store in 1882, 1886, and 1891. By 1895 the center space was occupied by a dry goods store and had a dentist’s office on the upper floor. In 1901, the western storefront housed a dry goods store, the center storefront had a grocery, and the eastern building had a confectionery, a tailor, a cobbler, a barber, and a milliner. A 1903 report in the Weld County Republican noted that Clark & Faulkner (drugstore) was moving into the “old corner” where the Phoenix Bakery had previously operated. In 1906, the dry goods occupied the western and center storefronts and the drugstore was in the eastern storefront (the corner, 800), with other businesses to the rear. A porch was indicated between the rear of the drugstore and the other businesses. City directories indicate that the dry goods enterprise was Shaw Dry Goods, Harry H. Shaw, owner, (802). Clark & Faulkner was founded in 1898 by Clarence I. Faulkner and Charles E. Clark. The same businesses were shown on the 1909 Sanborn map. In 1913 the Elks were located in a hall in the westernmost part of the building, while Shaw Dry Goods and Clark and Faulkner also shared the building. During 1915-22 Shaw Dry Goods operated from the western three-story space. A photograph in the files of the City of Greeley Museums (Negative #440) shows the building during the Shaw Dry Goods era, when it was one of the most elaborately ornamented structures in Greeley. Byars Co. Dry Goods replaced Shaw by 1918. B.F. Waggoner, grocer, was in the center space during 1915-17. Woolworth’s moved into the center space by 1918 and had entrances on both 8th St. and 8th Ave. Woolworth’s opened in Greeley in 1910. Clark and Faulkner (later Faulkner Drugs) continued to be in the eastern space. A 2 February 1926 article in the files of the City of Greeley Museums notes that the Clark & Faulkner corner and adjoining buildings were being demolished and a new Clark & Faulkner and Woolworth’s were being erected. A building permit for a two-story brick building with concrete foundation was issued in January 1926 for Clark & Faulkner. The $15,000 store building had one room on the first floor and seven on the upper floor. Also in 1926, a two-story addition to a brick building costing $10,000 for F.W. Woolworth & Co. was issued. By 1927, the multiple small retail spaces to the rear of the east part of the building had been eliminated. In 1928, the western space was occupied by Byars Co. and Woolworth’s occupied the center space. The east storefront continued to be Clark and Faulkner. In 1930 Woolworth’s, which had enlarged its quarters five times, added the former Shaw section of the present building to its facility. In that year, the store included a marble fountain and luncheonette, a sanitary kitchen in the basement, and restrooms and lounges for employees. A 1944 photograph in the files of the City of Greeley Museums shows the corner storefront occupied by the Clark & Faulkner Drug Company and the middle building and the former dry goods building occupied by Woolworth’s. In 1945 Clark & Faulkner moved from this location and Woolworth’s occupied the entire space of the current building. The exterior of the building was also remodeled and two store entrances were added. Woolworth’s opened a new store at 9th Street and 9th Avenue in 1957. Fashion Bar was listed in this building by 1960. In 1970 Fashion Bar obtained the Kress Building and other lots in the block to the north and erected a new building. At that time, this building was completely remodeled and converted to a men’s and boy’s furnishings department. Architect for the project was Richard L. Crowther of Crowther, Kruse, McWilliams of Denver.