Conservatory Building - 813 8TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - J.A. Clark Groceries
Style - No Style
Built Year - Pre-1882
State ID - 5WL4129

Description - Two-story brick commercial building with flat roof with paneled cornice composed of molded brick and two rows of brick on end. Upper story enframed with stacked brick. Walls composed of variegated brown and orange brick. First story has projecting, shed roof, wrap-around porch with metal roofing, segmental arched openings and brick piers. Inset entrance at east end of south wall has paneled and glazed door, transom, and sidelights. Hipped roof, wood frame bay windows are display windows on front. East end of upper story has two segmental arched paired casement windows with transoms and stone sills. Second story of west end of façade displays portion of historic building, which has wall of red brick, banded cornice of molded brick, brick pilasters, and paired windows with carved sandstone lintels with floral ornaments. Center window is segmental arched and has hoodmold with keystone. Bay window display window on west. Paneled and glazed door at north end of west wall. Upper story on west wall has segmental arched opening with four casement windows with transoms and shared stone sill. Rear of building is inset on west, and inset is sheltered by a porch with bracketed supports. Rear wall of eastern section appears to have two windows that have been bricked in; remaining windows are single-light.

Historical Background - An 1882 bird’s-eye-view picture of Greeley shows the east part of this building (813) was present. The west half was built by the time of the 1886 Sanborn map. Sanborn maps indicate that the two historic buildings housed long-time businesses: 813 was the site of a grocery, with a photographer on the second story, and 815 housed a jewelry store (1886-1909) and a book (later news and stationery) store through 1918. The 1892 city directory listed J.A. Clark, groceries, at 813. A grocery was shown in 813 until 1906, and the Delbridge-Wilson Mercantile Co. was listed here in 1906. The 1892 directory indicates that I.O. Glazier, jeweler and optician, conducted business in 815. Also listed at the same address were Miss S.L. Sawyer, city bookstore; C.A. Cobb, organs and pianos; and A.M. McClenahan, loans and insurance. Glazier was still listed in 815 in 1901, while E.B. Coulter had taken over the book and stationery store and also sold wallpaper. By 1909, a boot and shoe store was located in 813. The 1910 city directory indicated that this was Harbaugh Shoes. Henry Harrison Harbaugh moved to Greeley in 1909 and operated the Harbaugh Shoe Co. for twenty-five years. Harbaugh was born in Iowa in 1869 and attended Grinnell College. From 1913 to 1917 he served as mayor of Greeley and was then elected to the state legislature. During his time as mayor, Inspiration Point was set aside and improved and the first general improvements to Island Grove Park were made. The shoe store was also shown on the 1918 Sanborn map. In 1910, 815 housed J.W. Imboden’s bookstore and Glazier’s jewelry store. By 1915 the jewelry store was called Greeley Jewelry Co. and Imboden was still operating the bookstore. During 1928-40, a food store and a shoe shop occupied 813. By 1944, the House of Bargains was operating in 813, followed by Gregory Clothing Co. (1950 through at least 1970).