Downtown Center Gallery - 814 8TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Scott’s Bakery/Weld County Savings Bank
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - Pre-1886
State ID - 5WL4130

Description - Two-story brick building with flat roof with central stepped parapet. Walls composed of orange-brown magnesium brick. First story consists of open passageway with segmental arched opening. Passageway has arched lintel with three rows of brick with tooled sandstone ends and brick piers at corners. Second story features two 12/12-light double-hung sash windows with flat arches and brick lintels with stone keystones and tooled stone sills. Shed roof hood above windows has wood shingle roofing and is supported by paired brackets atop brick corbels. Corners of building have stuccoed piers extending from a secondary cornice of brick and projecting slightly above the roofline. Piers are paneled, stuccoed, and have decorative brickwork at the top with diamond-shaped ornaments. Interior of passageway has brick floor. Rear of building has two segmental arched openings on upper story, one with double-hung sash window and one with door facing balcony. The first story has metal posts and an arched metal spandrel ornament between the posts.

Historical Background - Sanborn maps and city directories indicate that this building housed a bakery, Scott’s Bakery, from 1886 through 1917. A 9 March 1976 article in the Greeley Tribune indicated that “in October, 1889, the Weld County Savings Bank opened for business at 814 8th St. The bank employed three persons and its total resources were $5,000.” The Greeley (later Weld County) Savings Bank was listed at 814 ½ in city directories of 1892 through 1906. The bank moved to the corner of 8th Ave. and 9th St. in 1907 and in 1964 a new building was erected at 1001 9th Ave. by a successor institution. The 814 ½ space was identified simply as a “room” during 1907-1915, and, in 1919-20 it housed a millinery. In 1919-20 the Roberts Loan Company occupied the main storefront, followed by Fashion Shop in 1922. Various proprietors operated shoe stores in the building from 1926 to 1960. By 1970 this was the location of Mikel’s Men’s and Boys’ Wear.