Cameo's/Sister Stitches - 818 8TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Hallock & Hall Hardware/Hibbs Clothing/Graybeal Jewelry
Style - Modern Movements
Built Year - Pre-1886
State ID - 5WL4132

Description - Two-story rectangular brick commercial building with flat roof with cornice of molded brick. Brick panel above second story windows. Upper story has wide 1/1-light double-hung sash windows at each end of façade flanking four narrow double-hung sash windows. Transoms of windows have decorative tracery. Brick sills and lintel course of brick on end. Façade has painted brick and wide band of stucco above first story. Storefront has central inset area. Entrance with metal frame glazed door with narrow transom. Arched awning above entrance. Large plate glass display windows flush with entrance. Above-ground display window at west end of façade. Also narrow display window at east end with wood paneling above window and tiled base. Secondary entrance to upper story at east end of façade has metal frame glazed door with transom.

Historical Background - This is one of the older buildings in downtown Greeley, appearing on the 1886 Sanborn map. A historic photograph (neg. 2129) in the files of the City of Greeley Museum shows the building with the sign "Hallock and Hall" and windows advertising stoves and hardware. Hallock and Hall was established in 1887 and was originally located at 806 8th St. The two partners were Greeley residents who purchased the business of Von Gohren and Scott. R.L Hallock was described as having "considerable experience in the business having been with A. Igo several years, and before that with Mr. Koch." Robert Hall was "a builder and contractor." City directories indicate that a hardware store occupied the building in 1892-1906. A photograph in the Greeley: The Historical Picture Album shows the interior of the Robie and McCutcheon Hardware store at this address circa 1900. Carrither's Clothing Company was housed here in 1909-10, with rooms offered upstairs. During 1913-15 the Mason-Eckford Clothing Company operated here, also with rooms offered on the second story. From 1916 to 1958 this was the site of the Hibbs Clothing Company. Harry Hibbs arrived in Greeley in 1911. He had a plan to offer "for sale fine brands and grades of men's and boys wear, and to build his business policy on an objective of service to his customers." His first store was located just west of the Greeley National Bank on 8th Street. In 1912 the company moved to a building on the site later occupied by the J.C. Penney store on 8th Street. Hibbs was successful at his second location, but desired to own his own building. Accordingly, he purchased this building and moved his clothing store here in 1916. A 1919 building permit issued to Harry Hibbs called for a $9,000 remodeling of the building. At this location Hibbs became "the store of famous names," selling brands such as Levi, Pendleton, Bayly, Stetson, and Arrow, as well as Hibbs' own brand of suits. A basement store opened in 1946, with special departments, including western wear. In 1958, Hibbs moved to a larger location at 814-16 9th Street. At that time, Graybeal Jewelry leased the building from Henry Hibbs. The jewelry store, operated by Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Graybeal, had been located in the First National Bank building. That building was scheduled for demolition for the expansion of the J.C. Penney store. The Graybeals extensively remodeled this building before moving into it. Remodeling included "an entirely new front area for the store's main floor." Einhorn and Nash, Greeley architects, were in charge of designing the remodeling, which was completed by the Hensel Phelps Construction Company and Moffat Paint and Glass Company. Mr. Graybeal stated, "Our move and expansion to a beautiful new store on a long-term lease reflects the confidence we have in the growth of Greeley." Mr. and Mrs. Graybeal operated their jewelry store until their retirement in 1974.