Housing Helpers Real Estate - 1020 8TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Camp/Faulkner Residence
Style - No Style
Built Year - Late 1890s
State ID - 5WL4136

Description - One-story painted brick dwelling with hipped roof with center deck and wood shingle roofing. Overhanging eaves and plain frieze board under eaves. Stuccoed chimney on rear roof slope and full-height brick chimney on west. Walls have sill course and area of basketweave brick between sill course and foundation. Foundation is stuccoed and has basement windows. Projecting, shed roof porch with classical column supports and frieze. Low balustrade with slender spindles. Wood porch deck and stairs with spindled railings; lattice under porch deck. Center entrance with paneled and glazed door with large rectangular light. Flanking porch are sash and transom windows with divided transoms and dentil molding and painted stone lintels and sills. There is also a similar sash and transom window on the west wall. On the west wall south of the chimney are two double-hung sash windows, with lap siding under their stone sills. A wall pier separates this bay from the rear of the west wall, which has two widely spaced double-hung sash windows. There is a shed roof enclosed porch on the rear with a band of double-hung sash windows and an off-center entrance facing a raised stoop. There is a shed roof storage projection to the west that has double vertical board doors. The east wall of the house has paired double-hung sash windows toward the south end, a single window further north, two windows with lap siding underneath, and a sash and transom window toward the front of the house.

Historical Background - This house is not shown on the 1895 Sanborn map, but is present on the 1901 map. A 1902 photograph of the house in the Greeley Tribune indicates that this was the residence of City Marshall D.F. Camp. Camp, who was born in 1845, also worked as a bricklayer and contractor and as chief of the fire department. He married Cora E. Rocheford in 1887. Mr. Camp was a Civil War veteran. From 1906 to at least 1950, this was the residence of Mrs. C. Faulkner. In 1960 the house was indicated as vacant in the city directory. The 1968 Sanborn map shows the building being used as both a store and a dwelling. In 1970 the Knit Inn was housed here.