Salvadore Deli - 800 9TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - J.L. Sutor Building
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - 1903
State ID - 5WL4139

Description - Two-story, corner, painted brick commercial building with beveled corner facing intersection and with flat roof with double row of corbelling along cornice and round vents with decorative grilles along frieze. Storefront molded brick and metal cornice ornamented with metal rosettes. Painted corbelled brick chimneys on roof. Evenly spaced 1/1-light double-hung sash windows on second story have low arched gauged brick lintels; tooled stone sill course. First story entrance in beveled corner has double glazed metal frame doors with transom sheltered by curved fabric awning. Walls adjacent to doors are angled inward. Plate glass display windows with newer brick under windows. Curved awning shelters windows. Entrances at south end of east wall (wood door with large rectangular light) and west end of north wall (with transom and glazed overdoor). Tooled stone foundation. The building was repainted and copper accents were restored. Windows on storefront and second story were replaced with wood frame windows The windows are one-over-one wood frame double hung. The corner entrance doors were replaced with wood frame doors with glazing and crash bars on the inside. A transom window is above the slightly recessed entrance doors.

Historical Background - This building was erected by J.L. Sutor in 1903. A 30 January 1903 article in the Greeley Sun reported that “J.L. Sutor is about to begin the erection of a building on his lot, corner of Eighth avenue and Ninth street, that will be an ornament to the city. It will be of brick, two stories high, and 75 X 25 feet. The lower floor will not only have a plate glass front on Ninth street, but the entire Eighth avenue frontage will be of plate glass. It will have a metal ceiling of the latest design. He will use the room as a salesroom for the Phoenix bakery. The upper floors will be fitted up for office rooms. There will be a basement under the whole building. He expects to begin work on the building as soon as possible after March 1.” On 28 November 1903 the Weld County Republican reported that “the Phoenix bakery expects to move next week to their elegant new building at the corner of Ninth street and Eighth avenue. Clark & Faulkner will occupy their old corner when vacated.” The first story of the building held the Phoenix Bakery until 1910, the Peter Price clothing store in 1913-1917, and the Olympia Candy Company in 1918. By 1920, the Mutual Drug Company was operating on the first story. Frandsen Drug was housed here in 1922-1931. Weldorado Drug moved to this building in 1931 and was located here through at least 1970. Carroll Gilbert, son of one of the founders of Gilbert-Bishop Drug, took over management of the store after Gilbert-Bishop bought out the bankrupt stock of Frandsen Drug. Mr. Gilbert had just graduated from the University of Colorado School of Pharmacy. He changed the name of the store to Weldorado Drug. A history of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, states that the organization moved to the second story of the “J.L. Sutter” Building on 2 December 1903. A Christian Science Reading Room was opened by the church, which had been founded by interested persons in Greeley in 1902. The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Greeley, was incorporated in 1912, and the group purchased a lot at 8th Avenue and 14th Street in 1917. In 1918 the first service was held in the new church. The upper story of the building later housed professional offices, such as those of Dr. Joseph Otoupalik and his son Josef, who were both dentists, and who were listed here from 1920 through at least 1970. Dr. Joseph Otoupalik was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1876, and came to the United States in 1880. He moved to Greeley in 1889, and married Hilma Eckstrom in 1901. Dr. Otoupalik graduated from the Colorado College of Dental Surgery about 1910.