The Potter’s House Christian Church - 806 9TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Baab Brothers Groceries
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - 1903
State ID - 5WL4141

Description - Two-story flat roof painted brick commercial building with one-story brick projection on rear. Projecting metal cornice with dentil molding, brackets, and modillions. Round vent openings with grilles along plain frieze; two courses of molded brick underneath. Second story features three 1/1-light double-hung sash windows with rock-faced stone lintels and continuous stone sill course. First story is remodeled with board and batten siding and awning sheltering large plate glass display windows. Deeply inset central entrance with metal frame glazed door with transom and sidelights. Entrance to stairs to upper story at west end of façade has door with transom and glazed overdoor. Indoor/outdoor carpet on entrance floor. Rear of building displays segmental arched windows and door with transom on upper story. One-story flat roof brick projection with off-center entrance with flush panel door and stairs to roof on rear. Entrance area at rear displays alterations.

Historical Background - This building appears to have been erected about 1903. A different one-story building is shown on the 1901 Sanborn, while this building is shown on the 1906 Sanborn. The address first appears in the 1903 directory. From 1903 to 1920 a market is listed in this building in city directories. The market is identified as selling meat on the 1906 and 1918 Sanborn maps. The 1922-1930 city directories indicate that this was the location of Baab Brothers Groceries, which had previously operated at 819 9th Street. The upstairs of the building was listed as “rooms.” Shops were indicated in the building during 1935-1944. The 1950 city directory listed Munsell Nu-Wae Shoe Company here, along with Fred Sumner Shoe Repair. Mr. Sumner moved to Greeley in 1915, where he worked as a shoemaker in a larger firm and then established his own shoe and repair business, which operated until 1960. Mr. Sumner died in 1964. Babcock Ladies’ Tailor operated from the upstairs in 1950. Mrs. Ruth Babcock (1890-1975) did custom sewing and tailoring. She had married Leonard Babcock in Iowa in 1918 and moved to Greeley in 1942. By 1960, Gentry’s Shoes and Sumner Shoe Repair occupied the first floor, while the upstairs included two apartments, one occupied by Mrs. Babcock. Mrs. Babcock had an apartment on the second floor in 1970, and Gentry’s Shoes was on the first floor.