Individual & Group Therapy Services - 824 9TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - J.D. Potter Plumbing & Heating
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - 1903
State ID - 5WL4153

Description - Two-story rectangular brick commercial building with flat roof with stone coping and cornice of molded brick. Panel on upper wall is stuccoed and enframed with brick. Band of four 1/1-light double-hung sash windows on second story has transom with stained glass and molded brick hood mold. Continuous tooled stone sill course. Upper façade has tan brick and first story is clad with stucco and newer buff-colored brick. First story has curved fabric awning. Inset entrance area with glazed metal frame door with transom and sidelights. Plate glass display windows with beveled corner west of entrance. Window east of entrance is covered up and there is an entrance on the west facing wall. Brick under display windows. East and west walls to rear are brick, with a few windows on the upper story. The rear wall is clad with stucco and has a metal balcony on the upper story supported by brackets. Facing the balcony are a door and three double-hung sash windows. The first story has a center paneled door flanked by windows and a secondary flush panel door toward the east end. Between the first and second stories are large panels of glass block.

Historical Background - This building was erected about 1903 and originally housed the J.D. Potter Plumbing & Heating business. An article about Potter in 1902 reported that James D. Potter specialized in plumbing, steam and hot water heating. Potter had operated such a business in Greeley since 1892. It was reported that “he has had nearly all the high-class work in his line that has been done in the city and surrounding country. Many of the business blocks and some public buildings have been equipped with heating plants by Mr. Potter.” By 1913 Pioneer Cash Hardware was operating from this site. During 1915-1918 the Lee Brothers Cash Hardware firm was located here. At that time, the Greeley Sulphur Steam Baths was located on the upper story. During 1919 through 1934 Greeley Dry Goods was housed here. The company was founded by Clem Melancon, Floyd Kelsey, and J.E. Fischer in 1919. The firm moved to 814 9th Street in 1934 and closed in 1983, when it was called one of Greeley’s oldest businesses. From 1935 through 1970 Dodd’s Ladies Apparel occupied this building.