Orr Building - 826 9TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Bijou Theater
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
Built Year - 1906
State ID - 5WL4155

Description - Two-story, rectangular, tan brick commercial building with flat roof with stone coping and molded brick enframing band of dogtooth brick, with decorative course of brickwork underneath. Three circular vents with grilles above second story windows. Second story has four 1/1-light double-hung sash windows with tooled sandstone lintels and tooled sandstone sill course. First story has inset central porch with segmental arched entrance with metal frame glazed door facing west. Two round arched tall windows on east end of façade. Lower story exposed on west end has light well and arched opening with wrought iron balustrade on first story facade. Mosaic tile floor at entrance area. Stone foundation. The rear of the building is one-story, brick, and has a flat roof. There is an off-center entrance with a segmental arched lintel above glazed transom and glazed metal frame door with sidelight toward the east end of the building and a covered up segmental arched window toward the west end.

Historical Background - The Orr Building, costing $4,000, is present on the 1906 Sanborn fire insurance map and is listed in the summary of construction printed in the Tribune in October 1907. The 1907 city directory indicates that a restaurant was operating here. In 1908-1909 this was the site of the Bijou Theater. By 1910, the O.T. Wilson Pool Hall occupied this building, with rooms offered above. During 1913-1917 Woolworth’s was located here. The Sherman Grocery was housed in this building in 1918. During 1922 through the 1940s a variety of shops and a tailor did business here. In 1950 the tailor and shops were listed, with the U.S. Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service occupying the upper story. In 1960 Bertlesen’s Jewelry was operating in this building, and Fishback Film Shops was here in 1970.