York & Associates - 1019 9TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - B.D. Stanton Residence
Style - Late Victorian/Italianate
Built Year - 1885
State ID - 5WL4158

Description - Two-story painted brick dwelling with complex roof with multiple gables, widely overhanging eaves, and composition roofing. Gables have decorative cut and sawn gable ornaments; east gable ornament has brackets underneath and some ornaments have pendants. Red brick chimney on west roof slope. Projecting front gable on façade has two-story bay window with flat roof with shingled mansard topped by cresting. Windows of bay are tall 1/1-light double-hung sash set in paneled walls. Two tall, narrow, double-hung sash windows with thick tooled stone lintels on upper story of façade above porch. Projecting porch adjacent to projecting front gable has flat roof with shingled mansard, paneled frieze, slender square wood columns with fluting and carving, delicate brackets, wood deck, and wood slats along the porch base. The porch has a wrought iron balustrade, concrete steps, and metal railings. Facing the porch is a newer flush panel door with rectangular light. The east gable end has single window with stone lintel on upper story and bay window with shingled mansard which extends full-width of gable end. Bay has four tall, narrow, double-hung sash windows set in paneled walls. The base of the bay is concrete and has basement windows. There is a shed roof one-story frame projection on the east wall of the rear projecting gable that has a concrete block foundation and paired 1/1-light double-hung sash windows. The shed roof projection has an entrance facing a projecting shed roof porch with post supports on the north wall. The rear projecting gable is asymmetrical, with a flared eave on the west. There is a cut and sawn gable ornament and a double-hung sash window with stone sill and lintel on the second story. Centered under this window on the first story are two narrow double-hung sash windows with stone sills and lintels. A small asymmetrical gable roof projection is located at the northwest corner of the asymmetrical gable. An intersecting gable at the west end of the north wall has a similar gable ornament, and there is a round window on the upper gable face. The west wall of the house has two double-hung sash windows with stone sills and lintels on each story. There is a one-story building at the rear of the property that has a stepped parapet fronting a flat roof. There is a three-part window and an off-center flush panel door on the front (south).

Historical Background - Information on file at the City of Greeley Museums indicates that this house was built by B.D. Stanton in 1885. That document (Historical Building Survey) quotes unidentified newspaper articles concerning the dwelling: February 1885. “A two story house for B.D. Stanton, with the following particulars, bay windows, extending from foundation to roof; fancy gables and veranda; parlor 14 X 17; bedroom 12 X 17 feet; dining room 13 X 17 feet; kitchen 13 ½ X 12 feet; pantry 4 X 10 feet; all on the first floor. The second floor will contain three bedrooms, or chambers; no. 1, 17 X 14 ½ feet; no. 2, 12 X 12 feet; no. 3, 13 X 12. The house is to be finished as soon as the weather permits.” June 1885. “The stone foundation of B.D. Stanton’s new house on 9th St. adjoining W.H. Nice’s place is finished and the contractor is now waiting for brick. Messrs Camp and Nusbaum are now building the walls. 26 August 1885. “B.D. Stanton is moving into his new house on 9th St., which is supplied with all modern conveniences.” 22 April 1897. “Judge and Mrs. Scott and family have moved into the Stanton residence on 9th Street next door to F.E. Smith.” James C. Scott was the son of Dr. James S. Scott, who was the official physician of the Union Colony. David Boyd wrote in 1890 that “James C. has the genius for money-making and is rapidly becoming, if he is not, one of our wealthiest men. He was county judge for three terms and a most just one.” City directories indicate that the Scotts lived here through 1922. Apartments were indicated at this address from 1928 through at least 1970.