Greeley Partners LLC House - 2014 9TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Mathew W. Newlon (ca. 1935)
Style - Late Victorian/Edwardian
Built Year - 1884
State ID - 5WL4394

Description - This house is situated on the east side of the thoroughfare, between 2008 9th Avenue to the north and 2018 9th Avenue to the south. The dwelling is set back approximately 50 feet from the street. A planted grass yard with mature landscaping surrounds the structure, and a combination of wire, woven-wire, and split-rail fences partially enclose the back yard. Oriented to the west, the house rests on a concrete foundation covered in white-painted stucco. White-painted, horizontal wood siding, with 1-by-4-inch cornerboards, clads the exterior walls. Windows are generally one-over-one-light, double-hung sash, with white painted wood frames; blue painted, wood frame storm windows; and blue-painted surrounds. Windows that appear in pairs on the lower story feature above them a pediment with heavy, projecting cornice. The paired windows on the front (east) elevation also have a blue-and-white-striped, canvas awning above them. Those windows that are paired on the upper story open beneath heavy, projecting cornices with dentil molding. A shed-roof porch, with wood Doric columns, is located on the south end of the asymmetrical front (west) fa├žade, and provides access to the front doorway. It hosts a seven-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood-frame door. The door features beveled glass, a protruding locking rail with wing-motif carving, and miniature, fluted pilasters. South of the door is an awning or hopper window with diamond-shaped glazing. Above the front (west) doorway, in the upper story, is an oval-shaped window opening hosting a rectangular casement window. The south elevation features a shallowly protruding, two-story bay. East of it is a front-gabled dormer. A hipped-roof porch extends across the rear elevation. It has been entirely enclosed. On the south end of the porch's east elevation is a one-beside-one-light, aluminum-frame sliding window. Opening beneath the porch, into the center of the foundation, is a white-painted, five-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood-frame door, opening behind a white, vinyl-frame storm door. To the north of this doorway appears to have been an opening into a garage beneath the house. It is now enclosed with white-painted stucco and a band of four-light casement windows. The east end of the north elevation has a doorway to the first story. It is a white-painted, six-panel metal door, opening behind a white, vinyl-frame storm door. Wood steps approach this doorway from the east. The center of the elevation's first story features a canted bay window; elaborately carved scroll brackets emerge beneath the bay window's flat roof. Covering the gables is decorative stickwork, and small, round windows pierce center of each of them. Gray asphalt shingles cover the gable-on-hip roof, and the eaves are boxed with white-painted wood fascia and soffit. A deteriorated, red-brick chimney emerges from south of center, near the ridge of the gabled portion of the roof.

Historical Background - Local tax assessor records indicate that this house was constructed in 1884, making it one of the oldest structures in the neighborhood - even predating the subdivision. Little is known about the property between 1884 and 1934. City directories list Mathew W. Newlon as a resident from 1935 to 1938. Ernest Seyers resided here in 1945. Between 1952 and 1986, John S. and Melvia G. Ledford lived in this home. Mrs. Ledford was born on December 4, 1892, in Versailles, Missouri. She married John Seaton Ledford in Eunice, Missouri, on September 6, 1911. The couple moved to Colorado in November 1916, where they settled and farmed in the Wiggins and Hoyt areas. In July 1951, they moved to Greeley and Melvia worked as a housemother for college students. Mr. Ledford died on March 8, 1953, and she died over 33 years later on September 17, 1986. A brief handwritten note in the Old Homes Notebook located at the City of Greeley Museums archives reveals that the "Melvia Ledford House" might have been moved from the southeast corner of 9th Street.