McCutcheon House - 2106 9TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Cora M. Parker House
Style - Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Mission
Built Year - 1928
State ID - 5WL4414

Description - This house is situated on the east side of the thoroughfare, between 2100 9th Avenue to the north and 2110 9th Avenue to the south. The dwelling is set back approximately 42 feet from the street. A planted grass yard with mature landscaping surrounds the structure, and a combination of chain-link and woven-wire fences encloses the back yard. Oriented to the west, the house rests on a concrete foundation with three-light hopper basement windows. Mustard-colored stucco covers all exterior wall surfaces. Windows are generally six-over-six light, double-hung sash, with white-painted wood frames. Four-light casement windows open on the east end of the south elevation and the south end of the rear (east) elevation. Fiberglass awnings protect all windows and entrances on the principal (west) elevation and west three-quarters of the south elevation. The front entrance protrudes from the southwest corner and appears as a pseudo-tower; it features a flat parapet, shaped wing wall off the southwest corner (appearing as a buttress), and arched opening on the south elevation. Ringing the bottom of the entrance is a two-level, yellow and red, raked brick planter. The entrance is entered via a four-step concrete stoop at the center of its front (west) elevation. It provides access to a wood slab door. On the asymmetrical front (west) fa├žade is a decorative drip molding over paired windows and diamond-shaped features, all worked into the stucco. The south end of the rear (east) elevation once hosted a garage opening, accessed from the alley behind (east of) the house, into the basement. It has now been enclosed with a dark-tan-painted, wood slab door, with flanking sidelights. The door provides access to a concrete slab. On the north end of the rear (east) elevation's main level is a mustard-color-painted, five-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood -frame door, which leads to a concrete patio off the northeast corner of the house. A parapet surrounds the north, south, and west sides of the shed roof, which is covered in gray asphalt shingles. The parapet is stepped on the north and south elevations and arch-shaped on the front (west) elevation north of the entrance. The rafter ends, which are visible on the rear (east) elevation only, have been capped with a fascia board.

Historical Background - In May 1906, the Colorado Mortgage and Investment Company platted Arlington Park which consisted of four city blocks and numerous lots including this one at 2106 9th Avenue. Local tax assessor records indicate that the current house was built in 1928. At that time, Cora M. Parker owned the property. Numerous individuals resided at this address between 1930 and 1954, including R.S. Franklin, Herbert M. Davey, Howell A. Culbertson, Ivan Miller, Kenneth Morgan, Phillip Koehler, R.M. Kuebler, Selma P. Olson, and Joe V. Miller. Frank and Clara Miller lived here between 1956 and 1963. George Brill resided at this address between 1965 and 1975. Brill was born on January 31, 1904, in Berthoud. He spent some of his childhood in Pueblo but lived most of his life in the Briggsdale and Greeley areas. He married Mary M. Helzer on September 5, 1925, at Briggsdale. Mary died in April 1961. Over two years later, in November 1963, George married Clara Miller. Mr. Brill had four children, although it is not known from which marriage they came. His three daughters were Charma, Elaine and Donna, and his son was Melvin L. Brill was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church and died on February 4, 1981. Between 1986 and 1994, several individuals resided here, including Lisa Groche, Judy Nukaya, Von E. Ring, and Frederick Criger.