Robert J. & Monica Kahn House - 2018 10TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - J.S. Nevins House
Style - Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Classical Revival
Built Year - 1907
State ID - 5WL4507

Description - This house at 2018 10th Avenue, now a six-unit apartment building, is situated on the east side of the thoroughfare, between 2014 10th Avenue to the north and 2020 10th Avenue to the south. The dwelling is set back approximately 30 feet from the street. A planted grass yard with mature landscaping surrounds the structure. Oriented to the west, the structure rests on a concrete foundation covered in gray-painted stucco. Gray-painted, horizontal wood siding clads the majority of the exterior walls. A red brick veneer extends up five feet from the foundation on the front (west) elevation. Windows are generally one-over-one-light, double-hung sash, with white painted wood frames, aluminum-frame storm windows, and gray-painted wood surrounds. The center of the front (west) elevation's second story features a bow window comprised of a central one-over-one light, double-hung sash, with flanking 18-light casements. Similar bow windows appear on the south and north elevations. A full-width, hipped roof porch extends across the symmetrical front (west) fa├žade. The north and south ends of the porch have been enclosed with bands of paired, eight-light casement windows, with four-light transoms above them. The center of the porch is entirely open and approached by six concrete steps; the steps and porch floor have been covered with green, outdoor carpeting. Opening at the center of the front (east) elevation's first floor, beneath the porch, is a white-painted, one-light, glass-in-wood-frame door, flanked on either side by 36-light sidelights. Above the door is a transom with flanking lights featuring X-shaped glazing. The south elevation is also largely symmetrical. Opening at the center is a basement access doorway. It is approached from the west by an eight-step concrete stairwell. The doorway hosts a white-painted, four-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood-frame door, opening behind an aluminum-frame storm door. Opening on either side of a central bow window on the south elevation are 21-light awning or hopper windows. The rear (east) elevation consists of a variety of protruding bay. To the north is a two-story bay covered beneath an extension of the main, hipped roof. At center is a single-story, canted bay beneath a flat roof. To the south is a single-story bay under its own, front-gabled roof. The closed gable features a heavy cornice, creating the illusion of a pediment. The east end and center of the rear (east) elevation's foundation host aluminum-frame, one-beside-one-light, sliding-sash windows. Just north of center, also in the foundation, is a white-painted, four-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood-frame door. An identical door opens on the north end of the elevation, beneath a shed roof. The north elevation's foundation features two-light hopper windows, with white-painted wood frames. A pair of front-gabled dormers emerges from the front- (west-) facing slope of the roof. Both have 21-light hopper or awning windows. The closed gables above them feature heavy cornices, providing the illusion of pediments. A short parapet, covered in black, asphalt shingles, extends between the dormers and slightly beyond them. Black asphalt shingles cover the hipped roof, and the broadly overhanging, flared eaves are boxed with white-painted fascia and beadboard soffit. An orange-colored, brick chimney emerges from near the center of the roof.

Historical Background - In July 1887, James M. Freeman platted Arlington Heights. The area was also known as Freeman's Subdivision and consisted of a large area extending south from downtown Greeley. This lot at 2018 10th Avenue is located within Arlington Heights. According to an Old Homes Notebook located in the City of Greeley Museums archives, the current home was built in 1907 at a cost of $2,800. The original owner was apparently J.S. Nevins. The home housed Delta Sigma Epsilon in 1930 and Theta Sigma Epsilon sorority in 1931. City directories list Fred L. and Lena M. Ryde as residents in 1933. Several college Greek organizations used the house between 1935 and 1937, including Phi Delta Phi fraternity, Delta Sigma Epsilon, and Lambda Gamma Kappa. A multitude of individuals, generally University of Northern Colorado students, have lived at this address since 1938.