UNC - 2216 10TH AV CT

 Print Listing Historical Name - James Finn House (ca. 1941)
Style - Other Style
Built Year - 1939
State ID - 5WL4577

Description - Though no longer existing, this house at 2216 Tenth Avenue Court was originally situated on the east side of the thoroughfare, between 2214 10th Avenue Court to the north and 2222 10th Avenue Court to the south. The dwelling is set back approximately 39 feet from the street. A planted grass yard with mature landscaping surrounds the structure, and a wood fence encloses the back yard. A concrete driveway runs along the south side of house, connecting 10th Avenue Court to a garage southeast of the dwelling. Oriented to the west, the house rests on a tan-painted concrete foundation with three-light hopper basement windows, protected behind two-light, aluminum-frame storm windows. Tan-painted, horizontal wood siding, without cornerboards, clads the exterior walls. Windows are three (vertical)- and four (vertical)-over-one-light, double-hung sash, with tan-painted wood frames and surrounds. Flanking the windows on the principal (west) elevation are white-painted, board-and-batten shutters with star-shaped voids. A small, shed-roof porch protrudes north of center on the nearly symmetrical front (west) fa├žade. Tan and white painted, simple wood latticework supports prop up the shed roof. Four concrete steps approach the porch, which provides access to a three-light, wood slab door, opening behind an aluminum-frame storm door. Another doorway opens west of center on the south elevation. It is a wood slab door protected behind an aluminum-frame storm door. It is approached from the east via a six-step concrete stoop with a wood railing. Gray asphalt shingles cover the side-gabled roof, and the rafter ends are exposed. A tall, red brick chimney emerges just south of center on the roof's west-facing slope.

Historical Background - In February 1910, the Colorado Mortgage and Investment Company and W.A. and Katherine W. Hamnett platted Hamnett's Subdivision of the 1st Addition to Arlington Park. The subdivision consisted of one city block and numerous lots including this one at 2216 10th Avenue Court. Little is known about the property between 1910 and 1938. Local tax assessor records indicate that the current house was built in 1939. Information regarding its first residents is inconclusive; however, city directories reveal that James Finn lived here by 1941. Clara Campbell resided here in 1944. City directories list Edwin D. Genessy as the home's owner between 1952 and 1957. Numerous individuals lived here between 1960 and 2002. Michael DeAngelo resided at this address in 1977 and also owned the property at that time.