Sollars House - 917 22ND ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Leo Florio House
Style - Other Style/ wood framed, side-gabled house
Built Year - 1926
State ID - 5WL4667

Description - This house is situated on the north side of the thoroughfare, between a north-south-oriented alley to the east and 921 22nd Street to the west. The dwelling is set back 44 feet from the street. A chain-link fence lines the west side of the property, and a planted grass yard with mature landscaping surrounds the structure. Oriented o the south, the house rests on a brown-painted concrete foundation with two-light, brown-painted wood-frame hopper windows. Narrow, tan-painted, horizontal siding clads the exterior walls, and square-cut wood shingles cover the gables. Windows are one-over-one light, double-hung sash, with brown-painted wood frames and surrounds, and aluminum-frame screens. The front (south) doorway is offset east of center and is protected beneath a front-gabled hood on decorative scroll brackets. A five-step concrete stoop approaches the doorway. Another doorway opens low on the east elevation, offset south of center. It hosts a gray-painted, five-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood-frame door. Brown asphalt shingles cover the side-gabled roof. The gables are clipped, and the rafter ends are exposed. A red-brick chimney emerges at the roof ridge, offset south of center.

Historical Background - In May 1906, the Colorado Mortgage and Investment Company platted Arlington Park, which consisted of four city blocks and numerous lots including this one at 917 22nd Street. Not much is known about the property between 1906 and 1925. Local tax assessor records indicate that the current house was constructed in 1926 but information regarding its first inhabitants is inconclusive. Warranty deeds prove that Leo Florio purchased the land some time between 1906 and 1925 before selling it to Mabel Peterson on December 29, 1927; Peterson sold the land to H.B. Swedlund that same day. City directories reveal that Kenneth F. Petty lived here by 1928. A multitude of individuals resided at this address between 1929 and 1962. Between 1963 and 1967, George Dixon lived at this address and might have owned the house. The home was used as student housing between 1970 and 1979. Residents changed frequently from 1980 and 1992. Judy L. Guber purchased the property some time between 1967 and 1994. She sold the property to Mark A. Van Beber and Lynette R. Allmer in September 1994.