Reed House - 927 23RD ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Earlyon and Matilda Brass House
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Craftsman
Built Year - 1940
State ID - 5WL4712

Description - This house is situated on the northeast corner of 23rd Street and 10th Avenue. The dwelling is set back approximately 32 feet from the street. A planted grass yard with mature landscaping surrounds the structure, and a two-car garage is located directly east. Oriented to the south, the house rests on a gray-painted, concrete foundation. Basement windows are one-beside-one-light, sliding sash, with white aluminum frames. White-painted, narrow, horizontal wood siding, without cornerboards, clads the exterior walls. Windows are three (vertical)-over-one, double hung sash, with white-painted wood frames and surrounds, and aluminum frame storm windows. A four (vertical)-over-one light window is situated within a shallowly protruding, shed-roof bay, offset east of center on the rear (north) elevation. The same window is located east of the front entrance. The front-gabled, protruding entryway features a catslide on its west slope. The entryway hosts a white-painted, six-panel wood door, opening behind a gray-painted, aluminum-frame storm door. To the west of the door, also situated within the protruding entryway, is a small, six-light casement window. A six-step concrete stoop, with flanking, white-painted, wrought-iron railings, approaches the entryway. Another doorway opens at the center of the east elevation. It is a white-painted, five-panel, one-light, glass-in-wood frame door, opening behind an aluminum-frame storm door. Piercing the wall at the bottom of the doorway's east side is a small milk door. Covered in gray, outdoor carpeting, a six-step concrete stoop, with a white-painted, wrought-iron railing, approaches the doorway from the south. It is protected beneath a barrel-roofed hood. Gray-green asphalt shingles cover the side-gabled roof, and the rafter ends are exposed. A red-brick chimney protrudes at the roof ridge, offset west of center.

Historical Background - In May 1906, the Colorado Mortgage and Investment Company platted Arlington Park, which consisted of four city blocks and created numerous lots, including this one at 927 23rd Street. Not much is known about the property between 1906 and 1939. Local tax assessor records indicate that the current house was constructed in 1940. City directories reveal that Earlyon and Matilda Brass were probably the home's first residents. Truman C. and Roberta Hall resided here in 1942. Between 1944 and 1957, Clifford and Gertrude Burbridge lived at this address. Mrs. Burbridge was born on July 1, 1910, in Gainesville, Texas, and worked as a teacher for many years. Mr. Burbridge was born over two years later on November 4, 1912, in Loveland. The couple married in Ogallala, Nebraska, on January 13, 1940. Not long after tying the knot, Mr. Burbridge left for World War II and served his time in Germany. After his return home, the couple owned and operated A.T. Burbridge Trucking, Inc. in Greeley. They had a daughter, Barbara, and a son, David. Mr. And Mrs. Burbridge retired in 1971 and moved to Estes Park. Clifford died on August 14, 1987, and his wife passed away the following year on August 19. Several individuals lived at 927 23rd Street between 1959 and 1969, including Robert and Alice Thomas and M.H. and M. Lucile Johnson. A multitude of university students have occupied the house since 1970.