Columbine Church of Christ House - 2415 9TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - George House; Tuck House
Style - No Style
Built Year - 1935
State ID - 5WL4946

Description - The property at 2415 9th Avenue consists of a cross gabled dwelling, with an L-shaped plan, along with an attached garage to the west (rear) elevation, which overall creates an irregular-shaped building plan. The front, side-gabled, leg of the house measures 28' N-S (across) by 14' E-W (deep) while the rear gabled leg of the house measures 14' by 14'. The garage is attached to the west (rear) elevation of the house, and measures 18'N-S by 11' E-W. The building is supported by a low concrete foundation, and there is an unfinished basement beneath the house portion. The house's walls are clad with white asphalt shingle siding, over painted white horizontal weatherboard siding. The house's cross-gabled roof is covered with brown asphalt composition shingles. Painted white rafter ends are exposed beneath the eaves, and there is a red brick chimney, partially covered with concrete pargeting, on the north-facing roof slope. The garage roof is hipped. The home's windows include single and paired 1/1 double-hung sash, 4-light hoppers, and 4/1 (ribbon style) double-hung sash. All of the windows have painted white wood frames, painted salmon color wood surrounds, and exterior metal screens. A wood slab front door, covered by a black wrought iron security door, leads into the house from a 4' by 3' uncovered concrete porch on the east elevation (fa├žade). A painted white wood-paneled, with one upper sash light, and covered by an aluminum storm door, is located at the west end of the south elevation. This door leads into the house from a 4' by 4' concrete porch, with a flanking wrought iron railing, and covered by a shed roof with one knee brace support. A vertical wood plank garage door, side-hinged with metal strap hinges, provides vehicular access to the garage at the west end of the south elevation.

Historical Background - Information regarding this house's owners and occupants was obtained primarily from Greeley city directories, and from obituary files at the City of Greeley Museums. Orval Dean George, and his wife, Jeanette, who are listed at this address in the 1944 and 1946 city directories, are the first known residents. According to his obituary, Orval Dean George was born at Bethlehem, Iowa on September 1, 1912, the son of Harmon and Vivia (Haner) George. He moved with his family to Crook, Colorado in 1928, and Greeley in 1934. He then worked for Goodell Brothers, and for Morrison-Knutsen Company before entering the U.S. Army in February 1945. He then served in the Pacific Theater during the latter stages of World War II. Jeanette Tuck (maiden name unknown) was apparently George's first wife, as is obituary references a marriage to Blanche Willis on October 10, 1955. Following their marriage, George and Blanche lived at Cheyenne, Wyoming until 1966 when they moved to Carr, Colorado. Orval George passed away at the Veteran's Administration Hospital in Cheyenne in September 1984 at the age of 72. The house was then next owned and occupied, from circa 1948 to the early 1960s, by Fred J. and Ina Tuck. According to his obituary, Frederick J. Tuck was born in Wray, Colorado on May 20, 1920, the son of Frederick and Ina (Good) Tuck. Fred grew up in Wray and in Greeley, where he graduated from Greeley High School, before attending the Denver University School of Business. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy in March 1941, during World War II, and he subsequently attended flight school in Corpus Christi, Texas, before being assigned to the Fleet Air Wing 1, Patrol Squadron 91, and Heavy Bombing Squadron 106. Following the war, he remained in the Naval Reserve until retiring in July 1873 with the rank of Commander. On December 24, 1944, Fred had married Mary E. Tuck (maiden name unknown) of Kansas. They had one daughter, Denise. Following his retirement from the Naval Reserve, Fred established an investment business in Greeley. He retired in 1990, and passed away two years later, in April 1992 at the age of 71. He was survived by his wife, Mary, and by his daughter, Denise (Tuck) York. Following the Tuck family's tenure, 2415 9th Avenue was next owned and occupied by Fred Winter, followed by Dale F. Winter, from the mid-1960s to circa 1970. From the mid-1970s it has been used as a rental.