Middleton House - 2421 9th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Seifert House; Fox House; Wiedeman House
Style - Ranch Type
Built Year - 1949
State ID - 5WL4948

Description - The single-story wood frame dwelling at 2421 9th Avenue features a basic rectangular plan, measuring 32' N-S (across) by 24' E-W (deep). It is supported by a low concrete foundation, and its exterior walls are clad with very pale grey horizontal vinyl siding. The house is covered by a moderately-pitched gable-on-hip roof, with grey asphalt shingles and boxed eaves. There is no chimney. The façade wall (east elevation) is penetrated by one large 8-light fixed-pane window, and one 2/2 double-hung sash window. Both of these windows feature painted white wood frames and surrounds, and decorative painted grey wood shutters. One single 2/2 double-hung window, and one set of paired 2/2 double-hung windows, penetrate the south elevation wall. Two 2/2 double-hung windows penetrate the north elevation, and three 2/2 double-hung windows penetrate the west (rear) elevation. Windows on the secondary elevations also have painted white wood frames and surrounds. A painted white wood-paneled front door, with six upper sash lights, and covered by a white vinyl storm door, is set within a recessed entryway on the façade. This door leads into the house from a carpeted, 3-step, 6' by 4' concrete porch with flanking black wrought iron railings. A rear entry door leads into the house from a 5' by 4' concrete stoop on the west elevation.

Historical Background - This house and garage were built in the late 1940s, probably by developer John R.P. Wheeler. It is representative of modest post-World War II ranch style houses built in the southern end of the Arlington neighborhood. Lloyd Seifert, who is listed at this address in the 1952 and 1954 Greeley city directories, is its earliest known resident. Seifert was followed at this address by Benjamin R. Fox who lived and owed here between circa 1955 and the early 1960s. F.E. Latham apparently then owned the property for a relatively brief time in circa 1963-1964. Jake Wiedeman, lived and owned here from circa 1965 to the late 1970s, the longest tenure of any of the property's residents. During his ownership, Wiedeman built the backyard patio off of the garage in 1969, and replaced part of the driveway in 1971. In the early 1980s, the property was owned and occupied by Joseph and Debbie Whaley, followed by Glenna Prieto in the mid-to-late 1980s. City directories indicate it then became a rental, and perhaps sat vacant during some of the 1990s. Presently (in 2006) the house is owned and occupied by Mark R. Middleton.