Lynn House - 2421 10th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Rhinehart House; Phillips House
Style - Modern Movements/Minimal Traditional
Built Year - 1948
State ID - 5WL4957

Description - The house at 2421 10th Avenue consists of a main rectangular-shaped cross-gabled section which measures 28' N-S (across) by 24' E-W (deep), and a 30' N-S by 14' E-W gabled extension to the west (rear) elevation. The house is supported by a low concrete foundation, and its exterior walls are covered with painted grey stucco, over wood frame construction. The intersecting gables roof is low-pitched, and is covered with grey asphalt composition shingles. The eaves are boxed with painted grey wood trim. There is no chimney. Many of the home's windows appear to have been altered. On the west elevation, there is one original 1/1 double-hung sash, one non-historic single-light fixed-pane, and one non-historic boxed oriel type window. On the north elevation, there is one original 1/1 double-hung sash, and two non-historic single-light fixed-panes. On the east elevation (fa├žade), a large single-light fixed-pane picture window is located to the north of the entry porch, and a vertically-oriented single-light fixed-pane, with frosted glass, is located to the south of the entry porch. On the south elevation, there is one original 1/1 double-hung sash, one single-light casement with frosted glass, one single-light fixed-pane. A painted grey wood-paneled front door, with three upper sash lights, and covered by a white synthetic storm door, enters into the east elevation from 6' by 4' front porch. The porch features a concrete floor, stuccoed pedestals and posts, and a gabled porch roof with segmental arch. A stepped stuccoed wall extends south from the house's front southeast corner, where there is a segmental arched entryway through the wall. A painted grey wood-paneled door, with one upper sash light, and with a synthetic white storm door, leads into the house from a concrete driveway on the north (side) elevation.

Historical Background - Weld County Assessor records indicate that this house was built in 1948, and Greeley city directories indicate that it was originally owned and occupied by Bill C. Rhinehart. Born on June 8, 1915 in Torrington, Wyoming, Bill was the son of Homer Hampton and Mary Edith (Bever) Rhinehart. He was married to Helen Marie Fabrizius in Riverton, Wyoming on November 27, 1946. Previously, he had served in the armed forces in Italy during World War II. Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Rhinehart moved to Greeley, where Bill gained employment with Meadow Gold Dairies. He retired as the company's operational and regional manager in 1977, culminating a career of thirty-one years. Mr. Rhinehart passed away on May 22, 2003. He was survived by his wife, Helen, a daughter, Marybeth Candland of San Diego, and a granddaughter. City directories indicate that Mr. and Mrs. Rhinehart lived here for only a few years in the early 1950s, before they sold the house to J.A. Phillips. By 1960, Daniel Surratt had become the owner. City directories then indicate that the property has for the most part served as a rental from that time to the present (2006). For the past four decades, it has been occupied by a series of short-term tenants, none having resided here for more than a few years. From 1994 to 2005, the property has been owned by Janine R. Lynn of Loveland. She has maintained it as a rental during her ownership tenure.