Francisco House - 2441 10th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Eisenman House; Schmick House; Mitchell House
Style - Modern Movements/Minimal Traditional
Built Year - 1947
State ID - 5WL4961

Description - This single-story wood frame residence features a cross-gabled plan, with a former attached garage on the north elevation which has been converted to living space. Located on the west side of 10th Avenue, the buildings façade fronts toward 10th Avenue on the east elevation. The dwelling is supported by a painted yellow concrete foundation, and the foundation wall is penetrated at intervals by 2-light basement windows. The exterior walls are clad with wide horizontal aluminum siding, while the low-pitched cross gabled roof is covered with grey asphalt composition shingles. The eaves are closed, with painted red wood trim, and there is a red brick chimney, located just below the ridge on the west-facing roof slope. A single-light fixed pane window, with flanking narrow horizontal sliding windows, penetrates the façade wall to the north of the entry porch. Elsewhere, the home's windows are primarily single 1/1 double-hung sash, with painted red wood surrounds. Some of the windows appear to have been replaced. A non-historic stained natural brown wood-paneled door, covered by an aluminum storm door, leads into the façade from a 4-step concrete porch with a black wrought iron railing. A non-historic stained natural brown wood-paneled door leads into the former attached garage in the stepped-back north end of the façade. A painted-over 4-light window penetrates the former garage on the north elevation. A rear entry door leads into the west elevation from a fiberglass covered concrete patio.

Historical Background - Weld County Assessor records indicate that this house was built in 1947, while Greeley city directories indicate that it was initially owned by Edward J. and Margaret Eisenman. The Eisenman family lived at this location from the late 1940s to the early 1950s; however, in later years, Mr. Eisenman went on to become one of Greeley's more successful and interesting citizens. Born in Indiana in 1924, Eisenman became a successful business entrepreneur who was known for his quiet and dedicated leadership style. He began his first business venture in the early 1950s when he launched a trucking company to transport agricultural-related materials. He later began to transport industrial chemicals for the oil and gas industry, and in time, this development led to the creation of Eisenman Chemicals. By the late 1970s, Eisenman Chemicals had become a major wholesale supplier of drilling fluids with several hundred employees in more than a dozen states. Capitalizing on its success, in 1979,Elsenman sold the company to Newpack Chemical of Matairie, Louisiana. At that time, Mr. Eisenman retained his role as chairman of Eisenman Chemicals; however, he also launched another firm called Eisenman Enterprises. This was a multi-faceted firm that dealt with mining, construction, commercial and residential real estate, and communications. Among other endeavors, Mr. Eisenman was also one of thirty-five owners of the Denver Nuggets basketball team, led by Carl Scheer during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Apart from his business activities, Mr. Eisenman and his wife, Margaret, raised a large family of nine children. He passed away in Greeley in February 1987 after suffering a heart attack, at the relatively young age of 63. Greeley city directories indicate that following the Eisenman family, this property was home to a large number of families, including both owner-occupants and renters. Some of the owners included: H. Schmick (late 1950s - early 1960s); Lucy A. Mitchell (early-to-mid-1960s); Anne Boulges (early 1970s); and B.J. Maes (early 1990s). According to her obituary published in the Greeley Tribune, Lucy A. Mitchell was born in Davis County, Iowa on March 24, 1891. She passed away in Greeley on March 10, 1977 at the age of 85. Presently (in 2006) this property is owned and occupied by Julio M. Francisco. Weld County Assessor records indicate that Francisco has held the property since August of 2003.