Masterson House - 2424 10th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Good House; Walker House
Style - Modern Movements/Minimal Traditional
Built Year - 1948
State ID - 5WL4967

Description - The modest single-family dwelling at 2424 10th Avenue features a basic rectangular plan which measures 34' N-S (across) by 26' E-W (deep). It is supported by a painted white concrete foundation, and its exterior walls are clad with undulated asbestos or asphalt shingle siding. There appears to be a full basement beneath the main level, with the foundation wall penetrated by 8/8 double-hung sash windows. The house is covered by a steeply-pitched side-gabled roof, with two small distinctive steeply-pitched intersecting gables overlooking the facade on the west elevation. These intersecting gables are of different sizes, and they are each penetrated by 1/1 double-hung sash windows. The roof is finished with asphalt composition shingles, and the eaves are closed. A distinctive, painted red, metal chimney is located on the east (rear) roof slope. A single-light fixed-pane picture window, flanked on either side by a narrow 1/1 double-hung sash window, penetrates the façade wall to the north of the entry door. Another single-light fixed-pane picture window is located near the center of the façade, while the south end of the façade is penetrated by a set of paired 1/1 double-hung sash windows. There are three 1/1 double-hung sash windows on the north elevation, including one in the upper gable end, and opposite these, the same window configuration appears on the south elevation. The east elevation is penetrated by three 1/1 double-hung sash windows as well. All of the home's windows feature painted red wood surrounds. A painted red solid wood front door, covered by a silver aluminum storm door, is located on the façade. This door leads into the house from a 5-step, 6' by 4', concrete porch with a black wrought iron railing. Another painted wood-paneled door, with one upper sash light, enters the south elevation from a 3' by 5' concrete porch. A set of six concrete steps descends to a basement-level entry door, also on the south elevation.

Historical Background - Weld County Assessor records indicate that this house was built in 1948, while Greeley city directories reveal that it was originally owned and occupied by Homer and Laura (Graybill) Good, until circa 1960. Homer Marion Good was born in Mills County, Iowa on February 8, 1916, the son of Walter and Myrtle (Monford) Good. He grew up in Iowa, and was married to Laura L. Graybill, in Emerson, Iowa, in 1935. Laura had been born in Carson, Iowa, on August 21, 1919, the daughter of Arno and Lulu (Alley) Graybill. The Goods moved to Greeley in 1942, where Homer worked as a construction supervisor for the Wheeler Hillside Addition. He later was employed as a foreman at Monfort of Colorado, and as a senior supervisor of building and construction and plant maintenance at the University of Northern Colorado. The Goods reared a family of a least two boys in this house, before moving to Estes Park, circa 1960. They were apparently divorced in 1974, and Mr. Good subsequently re-married. Homer passed away on September 28, 1987 at the age of 71. Laura died on August 23, 1996 at the age of 77. Following the Good family, this house was next owned and occupied by D.D. Walker during the early-to-mid 1960s. The property then became a rental for several years, until the early 1980s when it was acquired by its current owners, Vernon and Verna Masterson. Mr. and Mrs. Masterson respectively came to Greeley from North Dakota, and from Iowa. They have raised a family of three children in the home.