Robins House - 2444 10th Avenue Court

 Print Listing Historical Name - Richardson House; Grams House
Style - Ranch Type
Built Year - 1949
State ID - 5WL4983

Description - The residence at 2444 10th Avenue Court is a single-story wood frame hipped roof dwelling. It is supported by a low concrete foundation, portions of which are painted white. A low brown and red brick garden wall in front of the foundation encloses flower beds along the south elevation and along the south end of the west elevation (façade). The home's exterior walls are clad with grey horizontal vinyl siding. The intersecting hipped roof is low-pitched, and is covered with brown asphalt composition shingles. The roof eaves hung a minimal overhung, but are boxed with painted white wood trim. There is no chimney. A set of paired 6/6 double-hung sash windows, and two single 6/6 double-hung sash windows penetrate the façade wall on the west elevation. Elsewhere, the home's windows are entirely 6/6 double-hung sash with painted white wood frames and surrounds. A painted white wood-paneled front entry door, with six upper sash lights, and covered by a white synthetic storm door, is located on the façade. This door leads into the house from a 2-step concrete porch which measures 7 feet by 4 feet. The porch is covered by a low-pitched hipped porch roof supported by four slender chamfered 4 inch by 4 inch wood posts. A painted or stained brown wood-paneled door, with four upper sash lights, and covered by a silver aluminum storm door, is located near the west end of the north (side) elevation. This door leads into the house from an uncovered 2-step concrete stoop which measures 4 feet by 4 feet.

Historical Background - The block where this house is located (bounded by 24th Street on the north, 25th Street on the south, 10th Avenue on the east, and 10th Avenue Court on the west) was originally platted in 1909 as block 8 of the First Addition to the Arlington Park Subdivision. In May 1946, this block was re-platted as Hackley's Subdivision by Clyde L. and O.L. Hackley. Greeley city directories indicate that the house has had numerous residents from 1950 to the present time. The city directories and Greeley Building Inspection Department records also indicate that the house has served as a rental throughout much of its history. Between 1950 and 1955, the house was successively occupied by the L.R. Richardson, Kenneth Fields, and L.O. Simpson families, although it is unclear if any of these families actually owned the property. Then, between 1956 and circa 1960, the property was owned and occupied by the Victor C. Grams family. According to the 1957 city directory, there were five members in the Grams household. The property has subsequently served primarily as a rental from the 1960s to the present. City of Greeley building inspection records indicate it was owned by Scott Realty in the late 1960s, and that it was owned by JCN Investments in the early-to-mid 1980s. The property's occupants from the early 1960s to the late 1990s have included: C.E. Anderson (early 1960s); J.W. Nelson (mid-1960s); Clyde E. Monroe (late 1960s); Marsha J. Cosgrove (early 1970s); Ron Faulkner (mid-to-late 1980s); Ron Mahaffey (early 1990s); and Clay Drake (mid-1990s). The directions also indicate that the property may have sat vacant for periods of time in the 1970s and 1980s, and again in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The property is presently (in 2005) owned by Ira C. Robbins of Greeley. He continues to maintain it as a rental.