Forster House - 2426 11th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Armstrong House; Miller House
Style - Ranch Type
Built Year - 1950
State ID - 5WL4996

Description - The dwelling at 2426 11th Avenue consists of a single-story wood frame residence with an attached single-stall garage at the south end of the house. The residence portion of the building measures 32' N-S (across) by 22' E-W (deep); the attached garage portion measures 15' N-S by 20' E-W. The house is covered by a low-pitched hipped roof, while the garage is covered by a low-pitched side-gabled roof. The entire building is supported by a low unpainted concrete foundation, and its exterior walls are clad with painted yellow horizontal wood siding. The gabled and hipped roofs are covered with grey asphalt composition shingles, and the eaves are boxed with painted yellow and green wood trim. The home's windows are primarily single and paired 2/2 double-hung sash, with painted yellow wood frames, painted green wood surrounds, and with painted green exterior wood storm windows. A painted green wood-paneled front door, with two small upper sash lights, and covered by a painted green wood storm door, enters the house on the fa├žade (west elevation). This door leads into the house from a 2-step, 6' by 4' concrete porch covered by a hipped roof. A 15' N-S by 10' E-W concrete patio, covered by a gabled roof, extends from the east (rear) elevation of the attached garage. A single rear entry door enters the garage from the covered patio. A painted yellow wood-paneled overhead garage door, and a single, painted yellow, wood-paneled door, both enter the garage on the west elevation. Vehicular access to the garage is via a concrete driveway which extends to 11th Avenue to the west. Two 4-light hopper windows penetrate the garage on the south (side) elevation.

Historical Background - Weld County Assessor records indicate that this house with an attached garage was built in 1950. The Wayne V. Armstrong family, who resided here in the early 1950s, were the earliest residents, according to Greeley city directories. The Armstrong family, which reportedly included four members, was followed by the D.M. Miller family, between circa 1955 and the early 1960s. The Miller family also reportedly included four members. City directories indicate that from the mid-1960s to the early 1970s the property was a rental. Occupants during those years included James E. Kearns and family, Patricia Gaines, Marcia I. Smith, and Dennis Edwards. David L. Miller then lived in the house between circa 1973 and 1980. By the early 1980's the house had been acquired as a rental property by J.A. Forster, and it has remained with the Forster family to the present (2006). Its current owners are Donald a. and Pamela R. Forster of Briggsdale. City directories indicate that the house has been occupied by a series of relatively short-term tenants since the early 1980s. Some of the individuals were: Christine Shirley (early 1980s); Todd Zavaorskas (mid-1990s); Scott Boback (mid-1990s); and Rick Vanmaanen (early 2000s). Some of these individuals were likely students at nearby University of Colorado.