Henry House - 2444 11th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Southwick House
Style - No Style
Built Year - 1950
State ID - 5WL5000

Description - The property at 2444 11th Avenue consists of: a single-story wood frame dwelling, which measures 30' N-S (across) by 24' E-W (deep); a double-stall garage, which measures 22' N-S by 24' E-W; and a small 10' by 5' gabled mud room connector which joins the house and garage. Located at the northeast corner of 11th Avenue and 25th Street, the house fronts towards 11th Avenue to the west. The house is supported by a low painted beige concrete foundation, and there is evidently a basement level as the foundation wall is penetrated by single-light hopper type windows. The house's exterior walls are clad with painted beige horizontal wood siding, with painted white 1" by 4" corner boards, and with painted white vertical wood siding in the upper gable ends. The dwelling is covered by a low-pitched cross-gabled roof, with grey asphalt composition shingles, and with boxed eaves. There is no chimney. A single-light fixed-pane picture window penetrates the façade wall to the south of the entry door, on the west elevation. Windows elsewhere are primarily single and paired 2/2 double-hung sash with painted white wood frames and surrounds. A painted white wood-paneled entry door, with one upper sash lights, and covered by a white synthetic storm door, is located on the façade. This door leads into the house from a 2-step, 5' by 4' concrete porch which is partially covered by the extended overhang of the roof eave. The garage, which measures approximately 22' by 22', fronts toward 25th Street to the south. It is supported by a concrete slab foundation, and its exterior walls are clad with painted beige horizontal weatherboard siding with painted white 1" by 4" corner boards. The garage is covered by a low-pitched front gable roof, with grey asphalt shingles and boxed eaves. A white metal-paneled roll-away garage door, on the south elevation, opens onto a concrete driveway which extends to 25th Street to the south. A single entry door enter the garage's north elevation. The 10' N-S by 5' E-W gabled connector joins the south end of the house's east elevation to the north end of the garage's west elevation. A white metal-paneled door enters the connector on its south elevation. The connector is utilized primarily as a mud room. A white metal-paneled entry door is located at the east end of the south (side) elevation. This door leads into the house from an uncovered 4' by 4' concrete stoop.

Historical Background - Weld County Assessor records indicate that this house, with a single-stall detached garage, was built in 1950. Rodney H. Southwick, who is listed at this address in Greeley city directories in the early 1950s, was probably the original owner. According to his obituary, Mr. Southwick was born in Steel City, Kansas on January 9, 1903. He was reared in Kansas, and on April 8, 1946, he was married to Helen Bancroft at Kimball, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Southwick moved to Greeley soon after they were married, and their family lived in this house between circa 1950 and 1959. Rodney operated a Greeley service station for twenty-three years, between 1948 and 1971. Previously, he had worked as a Greyhound bus driver for some twenty years, operating out of Greeley and Fort Collins. Mr. Southwick passed away on December 13, 1973 at the age of 70. He was survived by his wife, Helen, a daughter, Sharon (Hagemeister), and two stepsons, Richard Schum of Cheyenne, Wyoming, and George Schum of Greeley. City directories indicate that George Schum also lived in this house in the mid-1950s. Subsequent city directories indicate that Peter Otis owned and lived in this house circa 1970, and that William Latt was the owner/occupant in the years surrounding 1970. In most other years, the property was apparently utilized as a rental. Numerous relatively short-term tenants have resided here during the past forty years, presumably including several students attending the nearby University of Northern Colorado. Presently, in 2006, the property is owned by Kara L. Henry.