Sullivan House - 2404 10th Avenue

 Print Listing Historical Name - Majors House
Style - Modern Movements/Minimal Traditional
Built Year - 1949
State ID - 5WL5095

Description - This house is located at the southeast corner of 10th Avenue and 24th Street. The modest wood-frame dwelling measures 30' N-S (across) by 28' E-W (deep), and is supported by a low painted grey concrete foundation. There appears to be a full basement beneath the main level as the foundation wall is penetrated by 3-light hopper basement windows with painted white wood frames. The home's exterior walls are clad with painted white horizontal wood siding, while the side-gabled roof is covered with grey asphalt composition shingles. Painted white rafter ends are exposed beneath the eaves. There is no chimney. A single-light fixed-pane picture window, flanked on either side by a narrow 1/1 double-hung sash window, penetrates the façade wall on the west elevation. Elsewhere, the windows are primarily 1/1 and 2/2 double-hung sash, with painted white wood frames and surrounds, and with decorative painted grey wood shutters. A painted white solid wood door, with three stepped upper sash lights, and with an aluminum storm door, enters the south end of the façade from a 3-step, 6' by 4' carpeted concrete porch. The porch is covered by a shed roof, and features a black wrought iron railing. A painted white wood-paneled door, with nine upper sash lights, and covered by a white vinyl storm door, enters the east (rear) elevation from a 4-step carpeted concrete stoop.

Historical Background - Weld County Assessor records indicate that this house was built in 1949, while Greeley city directories indicate that it was originally owned and occupied by Cecil L. and Helen R. Majors. Mr. Majors was the owner/operator of the C.L. Truck Line during the 1950s. The majors family lived and owned here through circa 1958. The property was then occupied, between circa 1959 and 1962, by Albin G. and Eleanor M. Vlasak. In 1959, Mr. Vlasak was employed as the Assistant Manager at the Nob Hill Tavern and Restaurant. The property then changed hands frequently during the 1960s. Owners and residents during the decade included Harold W. and Betty Law, Theodore E. and Ruth M. Davenport, Del E. and Janet L. Lovejoy, and John W. and Claudia I. Willard. In 1963, Harold Law worked at an electronic parts business in Denver; Mr. Davenport was a student at the University of Northern Colorado in 1966; Mr. Lovejoy and Mr. Willard, both served as the manager of Karl's Shoe Store in Greeley, respectively in 1968 and 1969. From circa 1970 until the early 1990's the house was owned and occupied by the Katherine Schwab family. In more recent years it has been owned and occupied by Eric A. Croatt, and rented by Lindsey Reichert. The property is currently (in 2006) owned by John W. Sullivan of Longmont.