Harper Home, "the Castle" - 1223 11th Street

 Print Listing Historical Name - Harper Home
Style - Late Victorian/Queen Anne
Built Year - 1883
State ID - 5WL92921

Description - This Eclectic Victorian residence is an asymmetrical two and a half story masonry veneer structure with a wood shingle hipped roof with lower cross gables. A three-story square tower with a pyramidal roof with flared eaves is located on the southwest portion of the house. The home has a stone foundation and red brick veneer exterior walls. Roof features include vergeboard with pendants in all gable-ends, a final on the corner tower, and scroll-sawn cornice brackets. The tower's shingles are placed in alternate bands of fishscale and diamond imbrication. Two gabled dormers are located on the east and west sides of the southern gable. The main entrance, featuring double wood paneled doors, is located on the southern elevation. Sheltering the entrance is full-length porch partially wrapping around the eastern elevation. Porch features include square posts, a pediment with a sunburst decoration over the small stairway leading to the door, and wood shingles. Windows are predominantly vertically accentuated one-over-one double-hung with segmental arched lintels with radiating vousoirs, stone keystones, and stone sills. Many windows feature operable shutters. A paired hopper window with a rounded arch transom is located in the third story of the square tower. Other character-defining features include a porte cochere and a two-story bay window with wooden cresting and cornice brackets, both located on the eastern fa├žade.

Historical Background - Colloquially dubbed the "Castle," this residence was built in 1883 for Captain B. D. Harper, cattleman and banker. In 1872, after serving in the Civil War for the Union, he relocated from his native Iowa to Evans. There he operated a general store and engaged in cattle raising. Ten years later, he moved to Greeley. After serving two terms as county treasurer. Harper became a banker. He helped organize the First National Bank and served as cashier for the Union National Bank. In 1899, he became president of the former institution. He died in 1905. Harper's wife Jane continued to live in the home until ca. 1910, whereupon her son-in-law, John D. McCutcheon took up residence there. McCutcheon resided in the home until 1948.