Wasson House - 1225 8TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - Wasson House
Style - Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Craftsman
Built Year - 1922
State ID - 5WLAAAC

Description - This Craftsman style bungalow is a rectangular, one-story, brick structure with an asphalt shingle, gabled roof. Roof features include triangular brackets in the gable ends and wide overhanging eaves. It has a brick veneer stone foundation and brick exterior. The one-story, full-width porch has brick knee walls with brick piers on the ends with concrete caps on the wall and low piers without columns by the centered steps. Windows are multi-light over one, wood frame and have storm windows. It has a basement entrance with concrete steps on the east side of the house.

Historical Background - The house was built in approximately 1922 for A.W. and Frances Brown. A.W. was retired. The following year, E. Rae Couzens, who was employed at Farr Produce Company, occupied the house. City directories indicate that G.R. Vickroy and his wife Margaret occupied the house from approximately 1926 through 1928, possibly longer. He worked as an agent for the Union Pacific Railroad. By 1931, Karl and Beulah Warner lived here and he worked at Matthews Produce Company. In 1933, Byron Ebenhart lived here. Michael Reardon and his wife Jean lived here in 1936, while he worked for T & T Company. Willard Wistrahl, First Presbyterian Church Pastor, lived here in 1937. The City directories do not include an occupant at this address in 1930, 1935 and from 1938 through 1944. David and Hilga Lofgren were listed here in 1945 through 1956. David Lofgren operated Star Grocery on 9th Street, located at 804 9th Street between 1906 and 1910, for a total of 25 years. He then worked at the W.E. Anderson Produce Company. David and Hilga married in 1904 and she died in 1950, David in 1957. David’s son Rupert Lofgren, a farmer, and his wife Ann lived here with them in 1948, presumably in the basement apartment. He also worked at W.E. Anderson Produce Company, and then with his brothers Bill and Russell in a produce and trucking firm. In 1950, Reverend John Bartrug lived in the basement apartment. In 1954 through 1956, W.S. and Mildred Lofgren also lived here. He worked as a dental assistant. From 1959 through 1960, Hubbard Bernard lived here. Dwight R. Rush and his wife Madge lived here from 1962 through 1984. They married in 1926 and came to Greeley in 1936. Dwight was employed at Colorado State College (now the University of Northern Colorado). The basement was rented out at various times. Dwight retired by 1969. John and Sidney Benner purchased the house in 1984 or 1985, and later sold it to the current owner Robert Wasson.