Saint Gabriel Archangel Church - 1103 10TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Townsend House
Style - Late Victorian/Queen Anne - Free Classic
Built Year - 1905
State ID - 5WLXX10

Description - This Free Classic Queen Anne style house is a roughly rectangular shaped, two-story, wood frame structure with an asphalt shingle, pyramidal roof with intersecting gables. Roof features include a gabled dormer on the east elevation, south elevation and north elevation and closed eaves with decorative brackets. The hipped roof is pyramidal with a flat top. There are diamond-shaped shingles in the gable ends. It has a stone foundation and wood lap siding exterior. The main fa├žade contains a nearly centered entrance with a storm door and a wood door with glazing. The one story, full-width front porch has a flat roof with a cornice and solid wood frieze. A balustrade rail and latticework below adorn the porch but do not appear to be original, but are architecturally compatible. The wood steps leading up the entrance have wood balustrade rail on each side. The porch roof is rounded slightly over the stairs. Windows are one-over-one wood frame double-hung and have wood frame storms and screens. There are several bay windows with one-over-one wood frame double hung sash windows, and are located on the east, south and north elevations. Several windows have decorative multi-light upper sashes with single light lower sashes. The bay window on the south also has diamond paned transoms. A window on the front gable end at the attic level also has a decorative wood arch over the top, reminiscent of the middle portion of a palladian window.

Historical Background - The house was built in 1905 for Charles C. Townsend. Lohr and Sons Contractors built the house for $6,000 and F.M. Travis painted it, Thomas Gibbon did the stone work and Potter did the plumbing. A Greeley attorney who also published the Weld County Republican, Townsend also established the Greeley Pioneer in 1908. He was a member of the 15th General Assembly. He was involved in other organizations, including BPOE, El Jebel, the Colorado National Guard, etc. Townsend and his wife Winifred lived here through at least 1948. The following owner was James B. Sweatt and his wife Nell, who lived here from at least 1952 through 1960. Sweatt was retired and Nell worked at Rucker's Furniture Company.