Dukstein-Clinefelter House - 1215 11TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - McCutcheon House
Style - Late Victorian/Edwardian
Built Year - 1900
State ID - 5WLXX11

Description - This Edwardian Vernacular style residence is a rectangular, two-and-a-half story brick and wood frame structure with a wood shingled, gabled roof. Roof features include a three window arched wall dormer on the south side, a gabled wall dormer on the north side, and eave returns. It has a limestone foundation and brick and wood shingle exterior. The main façade contains an off-centered entrance. The one-story porch encloses the main entrance and southeast corner and is covered by the roof the house (principal roof). Windows are one-over-one wood frame, double-hung. Many have stone sills and lintels. The brick chimney is located near the center of the gable roof. The house has a few alterations, including the enclosure of the porch with a wood half wall and screens. The porte cochere on the west side is likely an addition, although it was likely on the house by 1927. It is supported by classical columns and the small porch underneath it has square columns with beveled corners. A small extension of the second floor bedroom on the west was added in the 1990s. A recent stained glass window in the west bay window of the house was installed in 2003. A detached garage is located in the rear of the lot.

Historical Background - C.A. Dunham of Burlington, Iowa designed and R.L. Hall built this house for John B. McCutcheon and his wife May Broad in 1900. John, nephew of Ms. B.D. Harper who lived next door in the “The Castle” at 1223 11th Street, and his wife May and their four children Frances, Marjorie, Ralph and Jane lived there until 1909. By 1910 they were living next door in “The Castle.” John owned two hardware stores, including one in Greeley and one in Evans. In an interesting side note, one of the McCutcheon’s children, Ralph moved to Hollywood and earned fame as a horse trainer for Silver of Lone Ranger fame, and the horse in the original Black Beauty movie and the Fury television series. John H. Steck and his family lived here in 1910 until at least 1918. Steck worked at Cash Grocery Company and as a farmer prior to retiring by 1917. Leonard and Orpha Opdyke lived here from at least 1920 through 1963, when Orpha gave the house to the Red Cross. Leonard Opdyke worked as a real estate broker and was president of Opdyke Agency, Inc. It housed the Weld County headquarters for the Red Cross until Orrin and Carol Larsen purchased the house in 1986.