The Gables - 931 13TH ST

 Print Listing Historical Name - The Gables
Style - Late Victorian/Queen Anne
Built Year - 1882, 1919
State ID - 5WLXX20

Description - This Queen Anne style apartment building is an irregular, two-and-a-half story, wood frame structure with a wood shingle, multi-gabled roof with a central hipped roof. Roof features include decorative brackets on the gable ends. It has a concrete foundation and wood shingle and lapped siding. The main facade contains a centered entrance. The one-story, covered entry has a gabled roof with fake half-timbering in the gable end, several pairs of square columns and concrete steps. Windows are wood frame, one-over-one double hung and multi-light sliding. Other features include a bell-cast flare at the second story level with a wood frieze below it, fake half-timbering in the gable ends and pilasters on the corners of the windows. The bell-cast flare, the wood shingle siding and the fake half-timbering are used to avoid a smooth-walled appearance.

Historical Background - The original house was built in 1882 on 9th Avenue (when it was called Monroe Avenue) for H. Currier. In 1919, Currier’s son-in-law, Joseph Ewing moved the house to the present location and added on additions in the north and south in 1919-1920. The house has been used as apartments since 1919. Interestingly, Sidney Frazier, a prominent Greeley architect, lived in the Gables in 1922. Other residents included C.D. McClure, J.C. Ewing’s office manager, Dr. A.N. Hamilton, A.W. Augspurger, a real estate agent, Albert Clough of Clough Furniture Company, and physician and surgeon Dr. T.C. Wilmoth.