Borg House - 1854 13TH AV

 Print Listing Historical Name - Larmon House; Utter House; Borg House
Style - Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Colonial Revival
Built Year - 1926
State ID - 5WLXXX5

Description - This Colonial Revival style residence is an irregular-shaped/roughly L-shaped, two story wood frame structure with brick veneer and a wood shingle, side gabled hip on gable roof. Roof features include hipped roof dormer, wide overhanging open eaves. It has a concrete foundation and brick exterior. The main façade is broken into five bays and contains a centered entrance. It has a one story shed roofed room on the north side of the house with windows on the west and north. A similar shed roofed room on the south side of the house has windows on the west and south. The brick of these shed roofed rooms matches the brick of the house and are likely original to the house. The one-story porch has a curved roof, mimicking a stylistic pediment, with square columns. Windows are six-over-one wood frame double hung sash and have decorative brickwork in arches above the first story windows and have brick rowlock sills. The 2 brick chimneys with brick corbelling at the top are located on the east wall of the house.

Historical Background - Charles B. Larmon and his wife Mae were the original owners of this house, constructed in 1926. Charles owned and operated Red Star Med. Company from at least 1928 to 1930 and by 1930, he was proprietor of Home Health Service, Inc. They lived in the house through 1936. Roy and Pearl Utter purchased the house in approximately 1936-37, being listed in the city directories for the first time in 1937. Utter owned and operated Utter Jewelry Company. They lived in the house together through at least 1968, when Roy died 1968. Pearl continued to live there in 1970, renting the house located at the rear of the property and the apartment. Roy was active in various organizations, including was past president of the Weld County Credit association and past director of the Chamber of Commerce. He was described as “an ardent golfer and fisherman” and belonged to the Elks and Masonic lodges. Pearl died in Greeley in December 1984 at the age of 92. She and Roy married in Nelson, Nebraska in June 1911, where he owned and operated a jewelry store. They came to Greeley in 1932 after having moved from Nebraska to Sterling in 1924. She was a member of the First United Methodist Church and the P.E.O. Sisterhood Chapter CR and was an affiliated past matron of the Order of Eastern Star Garden City Chapter 3. She was also involved in the Fortnightly Musical Club and sang in the choir of First United Methodist Church. Several other people occupied the property until 1978, when Andrew and Mary Borg purchased and moved into the house. Mary works as a professor at the University of Northern Colorado.